Case Study 1: Legal Analysis

Discussion in 'Watson Glaser and Case Study Resources' started by Jaysen, Apr 25, 2018.

1. Jaysen

Jaysen Legendary Member
    Staff Member

TCLA Credits:
    Hey all,

This is the first in a series of mock case studies, please see attached.

The case studies are here to help you prepare for the written exercise at assessment centres. This one focuses on your ability to analyse complex information and form a solution.

To simulate a real written exercise, we recommend that you print out the materials, time yourself and hand-write your answer. Try to work in a quiet environment with no distractions. If you would like feedback, please email your answer to admin@thecorporatelawacademy.com with the subject “Written Case Study”.

The case study has been designed to take one hour to complete.

Best,

Jaysen

Attached Files:

#1 Jaysen, Apr 25, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 25, 2018
    • Like Like x 4
    • Useful Useful x 1
  2. Jaysen

Jaysen Legendary Member
    Staff Member

TCLA Credits:
    Well done to those who have submitted case studies recently for review, I am seeing some great answers.

Trophy points coming your way!

3. Jaysen

Jaysen Legendary Member
    Staff Member

TCLA Credits:
    Here you go: https://www.thecorporatelawacademy.com/forum/threads/case-study-1-legal-analysis.77/

Also, here is some advice from a student who recently secured a vac scheme offer at Weil:

The interview I would say is very relaxed and conversational, but it’s important to do a lot of research first especially on the firm’s key areas such as private equity and banking & finance.

I would also say it’s important to know what acquisition finance is and what private equity is. Be able to talk about these and also be able to talk about your past experiences in depth e.g. I was asked to explain what an RVI policy is after having spoken about it in my work experience at norton rose Fulbright.

Be able to speak about a number of commercial topics and don’t just focus on Brexit - look at trade wars or fintech - really anything you’re interested in and can talk about comfortably.

Knowing a few deals that the firm has done is also good.

I’d say smile and be personable - body language and the way you come across is super important and sets the tone for the interview. My interviewers laughed a few times (not at me of course!) and were smiling during the interview.

I guess enjoy the moment and seize the opportunity.

• Winner Winner x 1
  4. Daniel Boden

Daniel Boden Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator

TCLA Credits:
    If this is meant for me thanks a lot Jaysen!

5. Jaysen

Jaysen Legendary Member
    Staff Member

TCLA Credits:
    Oops, not sure what happened there. Yes it was!

• Funny Funny x 1
  6. Seren Williams

Seren Williams New Member
    Podcasting Team

TCLA Credits:
    Would anyone be willing to post their 'model answer' for this case study? It would be interesting to see how different people approached the exercise. Especially non-law vs law students.

7. Zain97

Zain97 Well-Known Member

TCLA Credits:
    Thanks for uploading this Jaysen!

I was wondering whether it'd be possible to see the guidance/marking on this, please? It'd be great to see your perspective on the case studies.
    :)

8. Jaysen

Jaysen Legendary Member
    Staff Member

TCLA Credits:
    Hi Zain,

We don't actually have a checklist for this at the moment. I'm about to begin working on some new case studies though, so I may do a checklist on this in the near future. I'm afraid this, as well as our other case studies, are only available for premium members at the moment though.

• Like Like x 1