Chances at a training contract

ergonomic

Dec 17, 2022
Hi,

I am currently finishing my second year of a non-law degree at Oxbridge. However, for my first year exams I got 60, 56 and 55 in my papers (there were some extenuating circumstances).

Do I still have a shot at the good law firms?

Thanks and kind regards

Username9999

Star Member
Jan 24, 2022
Short answer is yes. Did a law degree at LSE and in my first year got two 2.2s and two low 2.1s. Did not provide any extenuating circumstances and still was able to interview at the vast majority of firms and receive offers from US and UK firms.

I have heard a fair few rumours regarding some firms automatically rejecting applications below certain averages but these are just rumours.

In terms of applications, since you are non-law, try and focus on second year grades as the majority of vacation scheme and direct TC applications will be made in your third year as a non-law.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Particularly if there were extentuating circumstances, then yes.

You will need to explain the circumstances in applications and you may also want to line up a good written reference from your colleague if you can, especially if they knew about the circumstances and can vouch for your true potential.

Even if you do not have formal assessments this year, you should aim to do well in any informal grades so you can reference them as evidence of your true abilities. You may also find you have more success you have have your final degree result. Not everything needs to be determined by what you do in the next 9-15 months. If this is what you truly want to aim for, playing the long-game and setting expectations over the next 12-24 months is likely to be a healthier approach, especially if you need to wait for more constituent evidence of your academic abilities.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.