Chances of securing a vacation scheme

mark34

Aug 23, 2022
Hi, I am a second-year undergraduate at a decent Russel group seeking advice on my chances for a vac scheme next year. I have decent pre-university grades, with A*A*A*A. I have a few spring weeks in banking, accounting and multiple open days + a first-year law scheme in my second year of university( I am on a four-year course with a year abroad ). I also have a summer internship at one of the big four next year in London following my spring week. The only issue is that during my first and second years, I experienced a lot of "mitigating circumstances, " meaning that I achieved a 58 in the first year and 60 in the second year but I have not scored below 2.2 in any module. I am graded for my year abroad( it does not affect the outcome for my classification outside of having a distinction, merit and pass next to a 2.1). As a result, I have a few questions for people on this forum:

(1) What are my chances of gaining a vac scheme next year at a firm like a SC or large international firm?
(2) What firms would be more willing to place less emphasis on grades and look at an application as a whole?

Last edited:

laurabeaumont

Valued Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer
May 30, 2023
Hi @mark34 ,

Congratulations on your excellent A Level grades and your 2:1 in second year despite your mitigating circumstances!

In my personal opinion, applying once you have your final year grades will be your best bet. That does not mean you cannot apply now, but some firms have a no ‘re-application’ policy if you just so happen to get rejected the first time. Of course, your grades are only one element of an overall application and I am sure you could ensure the rest of your application is excellent. However, if you want to ensure that first 2:2 is merely a minority and you have made substantial improvement, putting your all in to your final year/s at university and coming out with a high 2:1/first will be the best way to put your best foot forward.

Good luck and let me know if there you have any further questions on this thread!

Laura :)

Sarah_00

• Aug 10, 2023
    Hi @mark34 ,

Congratulations on your excellent A Level grades and your 2:1 in second year despite your mitigating circumstances!

In my personal opinion, applying once you have your final year grades will be your best bet. That does not mean you cannot apply now, but some firms have a no ‘re-application’ policy if you just so happen to get rejected the first time. Of course, your grades are only one element of an overall application and I am sure you could ensure the rest of your application is excellent. However, if you want to ensure that first 2:2 is merely a minority and you have made substantial improvement, putting your all in to your final year/s at university and coming out with a high 2:1/first will be the best way to put your best foot forward.

Good luck and let me know if there you have any further questions on this thread!

Laura :)
    Hi Laura,

I was wondering which firms have a no re-application policy, I haven't heard much about this.

Thank you!

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.