Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
Staff member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Premium Member
M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    I've reached out to a few people about the video interview. Will let you know if I hear back!

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
    Staff member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    A future trainee at the firm said she couldn't give specific details about the VI but said the following:

1) Ensure you've picked an appropriate and quiet environment. You should be free from distractions in that room so try to make sure all sounds from your computer and phone are switched off and that nobody disturbs you. Try to pick a room with good lighting and a plain backdrop so that the focus is on you.
    2) Record yourself on a webcam answering practice questions once the room is set up to get used to looking straight into the camera while speaking, test the sound quality, and experience what thinking under time pressure is like.
    3) Don't over-rehearse as this could end up making your answers sound very stilted and may mean that when a slightly different question to what you expected is asked, you may not be able to answer the question correctly as you're too fixated on your pre-prepared answer.
    4) When you're actually doing the video interview try to stay calm and keep an eye on the time while you speak so you can wrap things up smoothly if you're running out of time. Try to look into the camera as often as possible so that whoever is reviewing your video interview can feel like you are speaking directly to them.

Last edited:

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
    Staff member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    Some further advice from another future trainee!

1. The questions on those things are relatively standard across the board. Concerning three types generally: motivational questions, competency based questions and commercial awareness questions. As such applicants should be astute to those areas and how they can demonstrate those areas through their own experiences.

2. Look at the camera on your laptop NOT THE SCREEN. Looking at the camera will mean you’re looking at the person watching the submission. Virtual eye contact effectively.

3. A sneaky tip, if you can’t really remember particular things you think you might wish to say, you can always stick sticky notes around your laptop camera with the bits of your application to jog your memory as you answer, as you will be unable to read your application in the interview.

4. It’s incredibly generic but be yourself. From what I gather, CRS particularly are looking for people. Real people, not a sort of corporate facade. So tell real stories that are relevant to you, not what you think a firm wants to hear.

5. Pick a sensible place to do the interview with good WiFi and a plain background etc and minimal background noise.

shennind

Standard Member
    Feb 12, 2022
    Hi all,
    I have been invited to CRS's video interview stage on friday, I have until Monday to do the interview. I was just wondering if anyone has had any recent experience with the CRS video interview from like 2021/2022 and what kind of questions they got? Please let me know asap, thank you guys!! @Jaysen

Reactions: anna_d

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.