Choosing between two TC offers

esther18

Junior Lawyer
Feb 4, 2021
Hi,

I am delighted to have received two TC offers at Clifford Chance and Slaughter and May. I just wanted to preface this by saying that I’m aware of how lucky I am to be in the position of having two offers! However, I’m struggling to decide between the two and would really appreciate any advice on how to do so.

The main things that differentiate the firms are:

- Training - Clifford Chance have an amazing suite of support throughout the TC and paid LIFT internships to help build commerciality before the TC begins whereas Slaughters training is less hands on (from my impression)

- TC seats - CC require you to do three transactional seats (corporate, capital markets, and finance) plus one other whereas Slaughters only require two transactional seats

- Work/life balance - CC has 25 days annual leave whereas Slaughters has 30 days and Slaughters have no targets for billable hours which I imagine helps reduce a face-time culture at the firm

- International secondments - CC has offices all over the world whereas with Slaughters you’ll likely be seconded to a ‘best friends’ firm

There may be some major differences that I’ve missed e.g. practice areas but as I don’t know where I want to qualify yet, this is unlikely to have a huge impact on my decision

I would be really grateful for any advice on this!

SLKEJRWOI97

Legendary Member
2020 Community Winner
Junior Lawyer
Jan 22, 2020
Congratulations! This is great news!

Whilst the breakdown you've provided is helpful, what's important to you?

Are you interested in doing an international secondment at a firm's own office (Slaughters do have secondments but they're to partner firms or the firm's small int'l network)? Do you have an interest in finance as opposed to general corporate? Do you share Slaughter's ethos of "multidisciplinary lawyers" or would you rather follow a more structured way of learning/training with Clifford Chance?

Ultimately, it depends on what factors are important to you. And as cliché as it sounded during networking events with trainees/associates/partners at firms we applied to, this is where when people say "I'm only at X because of the people" becomes important.
  1. Have you got to know people from both firms?
  2. Do you see yourself working those late hours with those people?
  3. Do you get along with those people?
If you're still struggling, you could ask to be put into contact (or contact them yourself on LinkedIn) with future trainees or current trainees at both firms and speak to them to find out more.

Good luck!

James Carrabino

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Gold Member
Premium Member
Forum Team
Junior Lawyer 11
Oct 12, 2021
Congratulations @esther18 on this outstanding achievement! You are in an amazing position to have offers from two top Magic Circle firms which are also quite different from one another... it demonstrates that your background must be both broad and absolutely stellar :)

You seem to recognise all the major ways in which the firms and their training programmes are different, which is a great start! First of all, @SLKEJRWOI97 has provided you with some excellent insight into the ways that you can go about choosing between the two.

I am just going to add some informal and anecdotal information from Wikipedia about the general perception of both firms (which you probably already know) in this article on the Magic Circle. Clifford Chance is considered a member of the 'Global Elite' whilst Slaughter and May is considered to be a 'Super Boutique' law firm. As the legal market has become increasingly globalised, these represent two different models - global powerhouse vs highly prestigious and geographically focused.

So in response to the points that you address, I think the main things to consider are:
  • The extent to which you are looking for international work (Slaughter's 'best friends' secondments are an excellent opportunity but my sense is that more of CC's work is cross-border and that there will be further opportunities to move between offices later on in your career)
  • Whether you want to try disputes/regulatory seats (it sounds like CC's training contract gives you less opportunity to explore these)
  • The extent of hands-on training that you want (I don't know enough about the two firms to opine on this but it is really a matter of personal preference
I would not worry so much about work/life balance. You would be working very hard at either firm and it will vary by practice area. I do not think that billable hours have much relation to whether or not there is a face time culture, to be honest.

I hope that this is helpful and congratulations once again :)

• Love
  • 🏆
Reactions: esther18 and George Maxwell

James Carrabino

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Gold Member
Premium Member
Forum Team
Junior Lawyer 11
Oct 12, 2021
@esther18 Congratulations on making such a momentous decision! It is good that you came to your decision fairly swiftly as it shows that deep down you knew what was right for you :)

Both are outstanding firms and you and @Romiras were very lucky people - please do stay involved with TCLA as I am sure we will have members with similar quandaries in times to come 😊

Reactions: esther18

esther18

Junior Lawyer
Feb 4, 2021
@esther18 Congratulations on making such a momentous decision! It is good that you came to your decision fairly swiftly as it shows that deep down you knew what was right for you :)

Both are outstanding firms and you and @Romiras were very lucky people - please do stay involved with TCLA as I am sure we will have members with similar quandaries in times to come 😊
Thank you! I definitely will continue to stay involved with TCLA and give back to a community that has helped and supported me in so many ways!

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.