Choosing electives on the LPC

Legalweasel

Standard Member
Sep 20, 2023
Hi!

I need to pick my electives soon for the ulaw lpc part time course that I've just started. I haven't got a TC yet, but I'm keeping my options open as to what area I want to go into.

At the moment, I am interested in commercial property/real estate, employment, and commercial law.

I was thinking of picking employment, advanced commercial litigation and I havent made my mind up of the third.

Is it bad for my career if I keep my elective choices wide ranging like this?

Also, i did commercial property during undergrad, so that's why I don't want to pick a property module again for lpc. I thought this would be enough if I were to decide down the line that I want to go into this area. Would it hinder my chances of that if I were to not choose it as an elective as well?

Thank you for any help you can provide :)

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
This all looks fine to me. It would only be if you wanted to go into a firm that was very heavily finance focused that they may want to see electives more aligned to those topics. But I think that wouldn’t highly influence a decision on an application anyway.

I’m_Batman

Valued Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer
  • Aug 25, 2023
    Hi!

I need to pick my electives soon for the ulaw lpc part time course that I've just started. I haven't got a TC yet, but I'm keeping my options open as to what area I want to go into.

At the moment, I am interested in commercial property/real estate, employment, and commercial law.

I was thinking of picking employment, advanced commercial litigation and I havent made my mind up of the third.

Is it bad for my career if I keep my elective choices wide ranging like this?

Also, i did commercial property during undergrad, so that's why I don't want to pick a property module again for lpc. I thought this would be enough if I were to decide down the line that I want to go into this area. Would it hinder my chances of that if I were to not choose it as an elective as well?

Thank you for any help you can provide :)
    No, your elective choices will not hold you back if they are general. In fact, if they were overly niche that might be an issue without a TC as it could give firms the wrong idea about your long-term interests (e.g. lack of commercial modules if you wanted to work in a commercial firm). My electives were Commercial Law, Equity & Finance, and M&A. If you can't decide on a third, you might like the 'Commercial Law' module.

Legalweasel

Standard Member
    Sep 20, 2023
    thank you for both of your replies!

About real estate and property electives, if I were to apply to a firm that was heavily focused in that area, would it be fine to say my interest stems from my final year undergrad modules rather than elective choices in LPC?

Thanks!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019

About real estate and property electives, if I were to apply to a firm that was heavily focused in that area, would it be fine to say my interest stems from my final year undergrad modules rather than elective choices in LPC?

Thanks!
    Yes - that would be more than fine to do this.

Reactions: I’m_Batman

I’m_Batman

Valued Member
    Premium Member
    Junior Lawyer
  • Aug 25, 2023

Thanks!
    Yes, although I am not sure I understand the question. To clarify, you wouldn't need to express that explicitly, if that is what you mean(?). If you simply said, for example, "I am interested in X firm's world-leading Commercial Real Estate Finance department that advises both lenders and borrowers as I really enjoyed learning about this on my X LLB module", that would be totally fine.

Reactions: Jessica Booker

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.