Clarification on a question

rhyu96

Mar 18, 2018
Hi everyone! :)

I'm drafting an answer to the question: Which areas of law are of special interest to you and why? In my answer, I'm focusing on specific areas that I'm interested in such as charities/private client/property but I was wondering if I should take a broader approach as the firm seems to describe its practice areas under three strands : commercial, private client, personal injury & clinical negligence.

Thanks a lot for your help!

Nicole

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Feb 28, 2018
Hi everyone! :)

I'm drafting an answer to the question: Which areas of law are of special interest to you and why? In my answer, I'm focusing on specific areas that I'm interested in such as charities/private client/property but I was wondering if I should take a broader approach as the firm seems to describe its practice areas under three strands : commercial, private client, personal injury & clinical negligence.

Thanks a lot for your help!

Hey Rhyu, I would say both approaches work. The only exception to that is commercial, which I'd say is too broad and covers many areas of law. Firms often group their practice areas into broader categories for ease of reference but you don't need to follow that, unless they are also interesting to you. Otherwise charities/private client/property is perfectly fine.

I remember a few questions like that on the application forms I had, I used to find them quite hard! How big is the word count for your answer?

rhyu96

Mar 18, 2018
Hi Nicole, thanks for the reply :), I'll stick to the approach then. Yeah, I'm also finding it difficult to keep the wording interesting. At the moment I'm just mentioning the relevant area and backing it up with experience and skills - but after describing four areas, I think it might be getting a bit tiring to read! The word count is 500 words.

• 📥
Reactions: AJ

Nicole

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Feb 28, 2018
Hi Nicole, thanks for the reply :), I'll stick to the approach then. Yeah, I'm also finding it difficult to keep the wording interesting. At the moment I'm just mentioning the relevant area and backing it up with experience and skills - but after describing four areas, I think it might be getting a bit tiring to read! The word count is 500 words.

I bet! One tip if I can suggest - you could also consider doing fewer areas (2-3) but having a couple of reasons why you like each. Four is fine but I can imagine it's a lot to cover.

Reactions: rhyu96

rhyu96

Mar 18, 2018
YUOTE="Nicole, post: 626, member: 16"]I bet! One tip if I can suggest - you could also consider doing fewer areas (2-3) but having a couple of reasons why you like each. Four is fine but I can imagine it's a lot to cover.[/QUOTE]
Yeah, I think I'll have a go at focusing on just 2-3 areas, think it will make the answer read better. Thanks for all your help! :)

Nicole

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Feb 28, 2018
YUOTE="Nicole, post: 626, member: 16"]I bet! One tip if I can suggest - you could also consider doing fewer areas (2-3) but having a couple of reasons why you like each. Four is fine but I can imagine it's a lot to cover.
Yeah, I think I'll have a go at focusing on just 2-3 areas, think it will make the answer read better. Thanks for all your help! :)[/QUOTE]

No problem! Feel free to send us your application if you'd like a second look :).

Reactions: rhyu96

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.