Clifford Chance Tech Training Contract Interview 2019

heidipercyslinky

Future Trainee
Junior Lawyer
Jan 28, 2019
Clifford Chance IGNITE Training Contract Interview 2019

The TC has a particular focus on technology. Trainees in the scheme are expected to be passionate about innovation and to help create solutions for the firm and its clients. Please note that this is the first year of recruitment. The firm may change how they assess applicants in the future.

There were two days of interviews. The first day determines whether the applicant would be suitable for a TC in general. Once successful on the first day, applicants were invited for the final day to be assessed whether they’d be a good fit for this specific programme.

First day
There were two interviews which are very similar, if not the same, to the ones given to the applicants for the standard TC.

The first interview is a competency interview with a senior associate. I was asked to introduce myself, then answer questions from the associate’s written list. The questions were standard:
  • Why commercial law
  • Why the firm
  • Overcoming challenges
  • Teamwork
  • Dealing with difficult people
  • Balancing different workload
As usual, prepare answers but do not recite from memory. Talk about your experiences naturally and it’ll be fine.

The second interview is a case study with a partner. Same with the standard TC process, there is a 30-min preparation time to write an email summarising a fictional acquisition. After that there is a 45-min to 1-hour interview to present the findings and answer follow-up questions. I don’t think it is crucial to spot all the issues but you should be able to identify most of them. The partner I was with was kind enough to give me guidance on some issues. After the case study, the partner asks some general questions like the above.

Tip for the case study is write and talk about the issues systematically and logically. The format I used was group issues in categories first (e.g. issues clashing with client’s business plan, logistical issues) and then split each category into practice areas. Listen and don’t be afraid to take hints from the partner because that is one way of showing that you can take feedback and that you can expand on what he or she tells you.

After the interviewers deliberate, the graduate recruitment team emails everyone in the evening, revealing the results. Successful applicants are invited to the second/final day.

Second day
There is only one interview - case study related to improving processes - with a partner and either a person from the technical team or an associate on the day. There are 30 mins for reading and preparing a presentation. After that, the applicant meets the interviewers to present their solution and answer follow-up questions for 45 mins to 1 hr. The interviewers also ask general questions at the end, e.g. why law, why this TC and personal examples demonstrating resilience etc.

This interview is designed to test how the applicant thinks on the spot and the applicant’s knowledge of the firm’s size and capabilities. So my tip before attending the interview is to relax and get some background knowledge of the firm, e.g. what tools the firm uses.

Tips for the interview itself are to present clearly and to consider possible decisions to be made if your solution is implemented. To present my solution, I used the structure - current problems, my proposed solution, benefits & expected outcome. The interviewers could challenge the proposed solution and the applicant should analyse and respond accordingly. Also remember that a law firm is a business and ultimately they need to earn money by providing valuable products and services. This mindset is especially important for this interview.

Overall
The interviews were enjoyable. It really felt like a two-way conversation, instead of prescriptive grilling. One last tip is to prepare a strong introduction. Because the interviews are CV-blind, always introduce yourself before jumping into the questions / presentation, so that the interviewer can have a preliminary image of who you are.

Last edited:

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
Staff member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Premium Member
M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    Clifford Chance IGNITE Training Contract Interview 2019

The TC has a particular focus on technology. Trainees in the scheme are expected to be passionate about innovation and to help create solutions for the firm and its clients. Please note that this is the first year of recruitment. The firm may change how they assess applicants in the future.

There were two days of interviews. The first day determines whether the applicant would be suitable for a TC in general. Once successful on the first day, applicants were invited for the final day to be assessed whether they’d be a good fit for this specific programme.

First day
    There were two interviews which are very similar, if not the same, to the ones given to the applicants for the standard TC.

The first interview is a competency interview with a senior associate. I was asked to introduce myself, then answer questions from the associate’s written list. The questions were standard:
    • Why commercial law
    • Why the firm
    • Overcoming challenges
    • Teamwork
    • Dealing with difficult people
    • Balancing different workload
    As usual, prepare answers but do not recite from memory. Talk about your experiences naturally and it’ll be fine.

The second interview is a case study with a partner. Same with the standard TC process, there is a 30-min preparation time to write an email summarising a fictional acquisition. After that there is a 45-min to 1-hour interview to present the findings and answer follow-up questions. I don’t think it is crucial to spot all the issues but you should be able to identify most of them. The partner I was with was kind enough to guide me through some issues. After the case study, the partner asks some general questions like the above, e.g. why law, why the firm, challenges the firm is facing, what other firms you applied to etc.

Tip for the case study is write and talk about the issues systematically and logically. The format I used was group issues in categories first (e.g. issues clashing with client’s business plan, logistical issues) and then split each category into practice areas. Listen and don’t be afraid to take hints from the partner because that is one way of showing that you can take feedback and that you can expand on what he or she tells you.

After the interviewers deliberate, the graduate recruitment team emails everyone in the evening, revealing the results. Successful applicants are invited to the second/final day.

Second day
    There is only one interview - case study related to improving processes - with a partner and either a person from the technical team or an associate on the day. There are 30 mins for reading and preparing a presentation. After that, the applicant meets the interviewers to present his / her solution and answer follow-up questions for 45 mins to 1 hr. The interviewers also ask general questions at the end, e.g. why law, why this TC and personal examples demonstrating resilience etc.

This interview / assessment is designed to test how the applicant thinks and reacts on the spot and the applicant’s knowledge of the firm’s size and capabilities. So my tip before attending the interview is to relax and get some background knowledge of the firm, e.g. what tools the firm uses.

Tips for the interview itself are to present clearly and to consider possible decisions to be made if your solution is implemented. To present my solution, I used the structure - current problems, my proposed solution, benefits & expected outcome. The interviewers could challenge the proposed solution and the applicant should be willing to consider alternatives. Also remember that a law firm is a business and ultimately they need to earn money by providing valuable products and services. This mindset is especially important for this interview.

Overall
    The interviews were enjoyable. It really felt like a two-way conversation, instead of prescriptive grilling. One last tip is to prepare a strong introduction of yourself. Because the interviews are CV-blind, always introduce yourself before jumping into the questions / presentation, so that the interviewer can have a preliminary image of who you are.
    Fantastic, thank you for sharing! Out of interest, do have a background in tech?

Reactions: heidipercyslinky

Syafiqkay92

Star Member
    Premium Member
    Aug 26, 2018
    Hi

I thought I share my own experience of IGNITE assessment day. The format is pretty much the same as heidipercyslinky so I share the questions that I get asked that is not present earlier.
    1. What ideas do you have to help CC legal tech? Think about what the role involves and brainstorm beforehand how you would do the job.
    2. What could Clifford Chance do to help its clients? Think about identifying risks and liabilities when the client is pursuing a business opportunity rather than helping the business source new opportunity which is what investment bankers would do rather than a lawyer.
    If I am to do this interview again, I would prepare an elevator pitch for myself, highlighting three key reasons why CC should hire me, as the first question they ask, tell me about yourself. The associate keeps asking me if there is anything else in my cv that I want to tell him as he does not have access to it. So, it is up to me to bring it in.

During my feedback call, I gain a deeper understanding of what lawyers do as opposed to bankers. Think of legal risks and liabilities rather than sourcing and valuing deals.

Even though I didn't get this position, the experience made me realised that I wanted to be more involved in being a lawyer rather than contributing to legal tech.

Hope this is useful.

• ℹ️
    Reactions: Jaysen

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
    Staff member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    Hi

I thought I share my own experience of IGNITE assessment day. The format is pretty much the same as heidipercyslinky so I share the questions that I get asked that is not present earlier.
    1. What ideas do you have to help CC legal tech? Think about what the role involves and brainstorm beforehand how you would do the job.
    2. What could Clifford Chance do to help its clients? Think about identifying risks and liabilities when the client is pursuing a business opportunity rather than helping the business source new opportunity which is what investment bankers would do rather than a lawyer.
    If I am to do this interview again, I would prepare an elevator pitch for myself, highlighting three key reasons why CC should hire me, as the first question they ask, tell me about yourself. The associate keeps asking me if there is anything else in my cv that I want to tell him as he does not have access to it. So, it is up to me to bring it in.

During my feedback call, I gain a deeper understanding of what lawyers do as opposed to bankers. Think of legal risks and liabilities rather than sourcing and valuing deals.

Even though I didn't get this position, the experience made me realised that I wanted to be more involved in being a lawyer rather than contributing to legal tech.

Hope this is useful.

Thanks for sharing!

Reactions: Syafiqkay92

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.