Clyde & Co Question

geographytolaw

Oct 1, 2020
Could anyone help me for this Clyde & Co question:

What are the main challenges for the firm?

I have thought about writing more about general concerns for law firms such as threat from Big 4, ABS and freelance lawyers but was wondering whether anyone has any more industry specific ideas such as challenges for insurance industry or any of their other sectors?

Thanks

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
Staff member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Premium Member
M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018

I have thought about writing more about general concerns for law firms such as threat from Big 4, ABS and freelance lawyers but was wondering whether anyone has any more industry specific ideas such as challenges for insurance industry or any of their other sectors?

Thanks

I would advise against your first approach - you don't want to be writing about the general issues facing law firms, you want to be 100% focused on the issues facing Clyde & Co.

It sounds like you are thinking about this in the right way with your second point. I would suggest you look into the kind of work Clyde & Co is undertaking in the insurance sector and consider what the specific challenges are there. Alternatively, you may want to look at other factors outside of the work the firm undertakes to consider the big challenges facing Clyde & Co. For example, how has it responded to the pandemic? What is its approach to competing with rival law firms?

Reactions: Alice G

Alice G

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Forum Team
    M&A Bootcamp
    Nov 26, 2018

Thanks
    I agree with everything @Jaysen has said here - I think the more specific you can be about a firm to show your true interest in them and their work the better. However, you could also think about issues like:
    Working from home
    Mental health and how to best support people
    LegalTech
    Changing expectations of clients - fee structures etc

These are slightly more general areas but you may still be able to tailor them well :)

Ayat

May 8, 2021
    Hey,
    While filling insight day form at Clyde and co, how should I answer, “please provide any further information about yourself that is relevant to your application?”
    And also how should I proceed with writing my answer regarding “why I want to learn more about Clyde & co ?”

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hey,
    While filling insight day form at Clyde and co, how should I answer, “please provide any further information about yourself that is relevant to your application?”
    And also how should I proceed with writing my answer regarding “why I want to learn more about Clyde & co ?”

What are the other questions on the form beyond the two you have mentioned? What other information do you have to provide (this will tell me what you could cover in the further information question).

The "what you want to learn more about at Clyde & Co" is just a genuine question - I wouldn't over think it. You obviously know a bit about the firm to already choose to apply to their insight programme, but what are you ultimately hoping the event will provide you with that will give you further insight into or knowledge of the firm? For different people that will always be different things - for one person they may want to gain an understanding of the cultural aspects of the firm to see whether they think they would enjoy working there. For others, they may have a particular interest in one of the firm's practice areas/sectors, that they want to gain a deeper understanding of the work and how this may compare to competitior firms. Some people just want to know more about the practical aspects of the working environment or the training. It really just depends on what is important to you.

Ayat

May 8, 2021
    What are the other questions on the form beyond the two you have mentioned? What other information do you have to provide (this will tell me what you could cover in the further information question).

The "what you want to learn more about at Clyde & Co" is just a genuine question - I wouldn't over think it. You obviously know a bit about the firm to already choose to apply to their insight programme, but what are you ultimately hoping the event will provide you with that will give you further insight into or knowledge of the firm? For different people that will always be different things - for one person they may want to gain an understanding of the cultural aspects of the firm to see whether they think they would enjoy working there. For others, they may have a particular interest in one of the firm's practice areas/sectors, that they want to gain a deeper understanding of the work and how this may compare to competitior firms. Some people just want to know more about the practical aspects of the working environment or the training. It really just depends on what is important to you.
    These are the only two questions in the form and then they ask for a CV and also what should be the length of the CV, is two pages enough or should I shorten it?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    These are the only two questions in the form and then they ask for a CV and also what should be the length of the CV, is two pages enough or should I shorten it?
    Two pages is enough, although if it is shorter than this, don’t worry at the same time.

I would probably cover why you are interested in commercial law in the “other information relevant to your application question” and also include anything you personally think is important to mention that maybe isn’t obvious from the information presented in your CV.

Reactions: Ayat

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.