CMS 2022 Application Help

Divyani Jethwa

Oct 21, 2018
Hi!

There is a question on my CMS Academy application that I'm stuck on.

The question asks 'In your view, what steps should a law firm take to put client relationships at the forefront of its strategy?'.

Do I talk about innovation or seeking to understand the client holistically as knowing the client's strategy will help provide better service? I'm not too sure what route to go down here, or if the question is asking something completely different.

Thank you!

Last edited:

AvniD

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Gold Member
Premium Member
Oct 25, 2021
Hi,
Could anyone provide any tips on the below question at all?

Focusing on one of CMS’s sectors, which areas of law will present the greatest challenges and/or opportunities over the next 3 years?

Thank you in advance! :)
Hi @hopefulfutureapprentice!

The way I'd approach this is to go through CMS' list of sector expertise (ensure that you distinguish this from their practice expertise- linking my post here on how to do this just in case this is confusing!) ➡️ once you've chosen a sector expertise that has caught your interest, research the latest business news in this area and comb through it find the opportunities and challenges that have been identified for the next three years➡️ as you start to write your application answer, focus on why these opportunities and challenges will present themselves and why this is a medium term concern of 3 years rather than a short term or long term concern.

I suspect that whatever sector you choose, factors like post-pandemic inflation, recessionary trends in the market, supply chain disruptions, geo-political factors arsing from the Russian invasion of Ukraine, rising prices of oil etc. will impact the opportunities and challenges you talk about in the medium term.

Reactions: Erin and sibs23

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi @AvniD,

This is so helpful! Thank you for taking the time to respond! :)

I was thinking of Energy and Utilities but I feel like that may be an obvious choice - maybe I am overthinking it!
There is no right or wrong answer here - you could ultimately pick most of their sectors and present either an opportunity or challenge that could be very impactful for the firm.

Reactions: AvniD

sibs23

Legendary Member
Jan 15, 2021

The way I'd approach this is to go through CMS' list of sector expertise (ensure that you distinguish this from their practice expertise- linking my post here on how to do this just in case this is confusing!) ➡️ once you've chosen a sector expertise that has caught your interest, research the latest business news in this area and comb through it find the opportunities and challenges that have been identified for the next three years➡️ as you start to write your application answer, focus on why these opportunities and challenges will present themselves and why this is a medium term concern of 3 years rather than a short term or long term concern.

I suspect that whatever sector you choose, factors like post-pandemic inflation, recessionary trends in the market, supply chain disruptions, geo-political factors arsing from the Russian invasion of Ukraine, rising prices of oil etc. will impact the opportunities and challenges you talk about in the medium term.
Thanks so much for this! Do you think it would be ok to talk about one of the sectors broadly or would it be better to pick out a specific area within the sector to talk about? The wording 'areas of law' is throwing me off slightly.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Thanks so much for this! Do you think it would be ok to talk about one of the sectors broadly or would it be better to pick out a specific area within the sector to talk about? The wording 'areas of law' is throwing me off slightly.
You can talk about a variety of points within the sector, but just make sure there is a depth of analysis rather than listing what areas will be affected. You need to explain why it is going to be the greatest opportunity/challenge.

Reactions: sibs23 and AvniD

AvniD

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Gold Member
Premium Member
Oct 25, 2021
Completely agree with Jessica!

Your choice of sector is not as significant as your analysis of 1) what the greatest opportunities and challenges for the firm wrt that sector are and why 2) why is this something to be concerned about over the next three years rather than the short/long term

Reactions: sibs23

confusedlawstudent

Legendary Member
Premium Member
  • Oct 28, 2021

I am just working on this question now, and I am wondering how I will relate all of this to an area of law?
    The question asks "which areas of law will present the greatest challenges...".
    I can think of areas of law that would present challenges (e.g. data protection law challenging AI, the Online Safety Bill challenging social media), but I cannot think why it would specifically be over the medium term of 3 years.

Any help is appreciated!

AvniD

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Oct 25, 2021
    I am just working on this question now, and I am wondering how I will relate all of this to an area of law?
    The question asks "which areas of law will present the greatest challenges...".
    I can think of areas of law that would present challenges (e.g. data protection law challenging AI, the Online Safety Bill challenging social media), but I cannot think why it would specifically be over the medium term of 3 years.

Any help is appreciated!
    I would take this to mean how law firms will be engaged in dealing with the opportunities and/or challenges arising in one of CMS' sectors of expertise in the next 3 years. So if you choose energy, for example, then your next point of analysis is identifying the opportunities and challenges (potential for green energy in developing less coal reliant grids, the ongoing energy crisis etc.) and then moving on to evaluating the role of lawyers (restructuring lawyers coming in to deal with any firms that collapse due to the energy crisis, M&A lawyers engaging in green energy deals, tax lawyers advising on tax reliefs for energy companies etc.).

Does this help?

• 🤝
    Reactions: confusedlawstudent

Autotunedbird

Distinguished Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Nov 15, 2021
    In terms of the question, 'In your view, what steps should a law firm take to put client relationships at the forefront of its strategy? (200 words)'

I answered the question on recommendations and then how CMS is implementing those recommendations. Should I have purely focused on the recommendations? I don't know if I have directly answered the question in this way

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    In terms of the question, 'In your view, what steps should a law firm take to put client relationships at the forefront of its strategy? (200 words)'

I answered the question on recommendations and then how CMS is implementing those recommendations. Should I have purely focused on the recommendations? I don't know if I have directly answered the question in this way
    I tend to advise that you don’t need to include what CMS is already doing, it should be more focused on your opinions on what firms should do. Plenty of people do take the approach you have done though.

Reactions: AvniD and Autotunedbird

AvniD

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Oct 25, 2021

I agree with Jessica, bringing in CMS here is not necessary at all, unless you feel it is material to how you're choosing to answer the question. Moreover, going into how CMS is implementing the recommendations is a deviation because it doesn't answer what the question is asking. Purely focusing on recommendations and backing them up with why you think they'll work is a better approach!

Reactions: Autotunedbird

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.