CMS Application Question 2021

legallyinternational

Premium Member
Sep 17, 2021
Hi all,

I was hoping someone could clarify one of CMS's application questions to me:

Focusing on one of CMS’s sectors, what opportunities have arisen in the ‘new ways of working’ and current business climate?

I'm not sure whether the question is asking what opportunities arise for CMS and its clients within the sector, or what opportunities arise in the sector itself. It would be great if someone could offer clarity on this matter :)

MollyT

Aug 16, 2021
Hi all,

Focusing on one of CMS’s sectors, what opportunities have arisen in the ‘new ways of working’ and current business climate?

I'm not sure whether the question is asking what opportunities arise for CMS and its clients within the sector, or what opportunities arise in the sector itself. It would be great if someone could offer clarity on this matter :)
I dont understand their question at all. What is meant by ‘new ways of working’?

GS0W

Gold Member
Premium Member
Feb 15, 2021
Hi all I just wanted to know if anyone understood the third application question 'one key stratergy that CMS is implementing to become the leading law relationship law firm?'
what does it mean by relationship law firm? sorry I am not sure if i am just overthinking but im definitely lost

Dheepa

Legendary Member
Staff member
Future Trainee
TCLA Moderator
Premium Member
Forum Team
M&A Bootcamp
Junior Lawyer 43
  • Jan 20, 2019
    Hi all I just wanted to know if anyone understood the third application question 'one key stratergy that CMS is implementing to become the leading law relationship law firm?'
    what does it mean by relationship law firm? sorry I am not sure if i am just overthinking but im definitely lost

Since this is an application relating to their strategy, 'd double check their website to see what they've written about the strategy themselves - they probably do explain it somewhere (likely in an annual report or something similar). My understanding of relationship law firm is that it probably has something to do with how they build relationships with clients and maintain that relationship.

• 🤝
    Reactions: GS0W

Tarnjeet

Esteemed Member
    Oct 20, 2020
    Hi all,

Am really unsure about this question too- particularly on how to link 'new ways of working' with CMS's sector. @Jessica Booker if the new ways is referring to changes since Covid, should we talk about things like increased use of tech, wfh? If so, not sure how to link something like wfh with CMS's sectors. Thanks,

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Am really unsure about this question too- particularly on how to link 'new ways of working' with CMS's sector. @Jessica Booker if the new ways is referring to changes since Covid, should we talk about things like increased use of tech, wfh? If so, not sure how to link something like wfh with CMS's sectors. Thanks,
    I don’t think it necessarily just has to be related to how we have changed working because of Covid (although this is often what is used in the applications), it could just be other factors that have influenced how we work (eg green agenda). I would make sure there is also a clear reference to current business conditions too.

Reactions: Tarnjeet

Tarnjeet

Esteemed Member
    Oct 20, 2020
    I don’t think it necessarily just has to be related to how we have changed working because of Covid (although this is often what is used in the applications), it could just be other factors that have influenced how we work (eg green agenda). I would make sure there is also a clear reference to current business conditions too.
    Thank you

hopefulfutureapprentice

Dec 6, 2021
    I am really stuck on this question…
    Where should we look to find out these opportunities? I’ve looked at CMS’ sectors but I’m just not sure what opportunities apply to them and how. If someone could point me in the right direction that would be great!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    I am really stuck on this question…
    Where should we look to find out these opportunities? I’ve looked at CMS’ sectors but I’m just not sure what opportunities apply to them and how. If someone could point me in the right direction that would be great!
    Is there any particular sector that caught your eye or you are particularly interested in from a personal perspective?

hopefulfutureapprentice

Dec 6, 2021
    Is there any particular sector that caught your eye or you are particularly interested in from a personal perspective?
    Thank you for getting back to me.

I was actually looking at employment and pensions (I currently work in a trade union) which really should be quite easy with wfh, upgrading tech etc. but then is that to easy and obvious? Do I need statistics etc? Where do I find these? Am I just over complicating it? Probably!

I saw their post about real estate rebound so then I’m thinking maybe real estate may be the way to go as I could look through those and pick some points out?

My commercial awareness is lacking at the moment - which is something I am currently working on.

AvniD

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Oct 25, 2021
    I think you can choose any sector that interests you and apply the below structure to help break down 1) what you need to research to fill the structure out and 2) how you can express your findings and analysis-

Identify the sector (employment + pensions for eg.) ➡️ identify the opportunities (wfh, upgrading tech, link to current 'business climate' aka the kind of work that's being generated more since the pandemic) ➡️ finish off with what this could mean for CMS (link to firm's vision, strategy, values, clients, the potential for new international offices- whatever you can bring in to tie up the answer neatly)

Repeat for each sector- I'd stick to a maximum of 3.

I hope this helps? Let me know!

Reactions: Jessica Booker

hopefulfutureapprentice

Dec 6, 2021
    I think you can choose any sector that interests you and apply the below structure to help break down 1) what you need to research to fill the structure out and 2) how you can express your findings and analysis-

Identify the sector (employment + pensions for eg.) ➡️ identify the opportunities (wfh, upgrading tech, link to current 'business climate' aka the kind of work that's being generated more since the pandemic) ➡️ finish off with what this could mean for CMS (link to firm's vision, strategy, values, clients, the potential for new international offices- whatever you can bring in to tie up the answer neatly)

Repeat for each sector- I'd stick to a maximum of 3.

I hope this helps? Let me know!
    That is really helpful thank you!
    I think linking it all together is going to be where I find it a bit tricky but your tips are super helpful and gives me an idea of where to get started! Thank you so much x

AvniD

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Oct 25, 2021
    That is really helpful thank you!
    I think linking it all together is going to be where I find it a bit tricky but your tips are super helpful and gives me an idea of where to get started! Thank you so much x
    No problem at all! Please do reach out here on the forum if you have any other questions! 😇

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.