CMS Opportunities 2021/22

tt_xo

Valued Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer
Oct 20, 2020
Hi guys,

I thought I should just pop on here and let you know that I am a brand ambassador at CMS for the 2021/22 academic year!

It might be useful for me to share some of the most relevant opportunities CMS has available for this year. Applications for both the CMS Academy and the CMS First Steps are now open, and both close on the 24th of December 2021.

A little bit about CMS Academy: The CMS Academy is an innovative and varied three-week programme, and it is the only route to securing a training contract with the firm. CMS Academy participants across the UK offices spend one week in London; and the week's activities are dedicated to learning the business of law. This includes a client visit, a work simulation exercise, panel discussions and plenty of networking opportunities. The second and third weeks are similar to traditional vacation schemes, where participants are placed in a particular department and are assigned work from a supervisor.

You can learn more about the CMS Academy here: http://ocply.co/cms-ba2021-apply-warw

CMS First Steps: This is a one-week programme where you have the opportunity to shadow a trainee solicitor and take part in various skills sessions. The programme’s blend of practical work experience, skills sessions, trainee shadowing, and networking will build your knowledge and your contacts in equal measure. You will be invited to social events, lunches, and coffee networking where you’ll get to meet representatives from across the firm. Successful completion of this programme fast tracks you to an assessment centre for the CMS Academy programme!

You can learn more about CMS First Steps here: http://ocply.co/cms-ba2021-apply-warw

Now I'll add a few reasons why you should apply to CMS and why I am also deciding to apply to CMS:
  • 90% of participants on CMS Academy receive a training contract!
  • No minimum a level or degree requirements anymore. I am aware that some websites still state that CMS does have minimum a level and degree requirements, but I was told at the training day that this has been scrapped and their website also reflect this, so perhaps the websites have not updated this yet.
  • Future-facing firm that has been quick to embrace technology in all aspects.
  • Offers a good work-life balance compared to other firms of its size.
  • First year trainee salary: £44,500. Second year trainee salary: £49,500. Qualification salary: £82,000 (London Office)
So just to let you know, I just started as a Brand Ambassador so I may not have all the answers to your queries, but if you do have any queries I will contact CMS on your behalf and get back to you as quickly as possible.

Last edited:

PirateShip

Esteemed Member
Premium Member
Feb 3, 2021
Hey! Thanks for this, very informative.

I just wanted to clarify something, but on the CMS Academy information page, it states on the right that:

"Undergraduate or postgraduate students studying either law or a non-law subject, as well as all graduates and candidates in a non-law career"

However, further down the page it states for England and Wales:

"Law students in their penultimate or final year, and final year non-law students."

Am I correct in assuming if we graduated from an English university we are ineligible to apply?

OB

Legendary Member
2020 Community Winner
Junior Lawyer
  • Feb 10, 2020

I just wanted to clarify something, but on the CMS Academy information page, it states on the right that:

"Undergraduate or postgraduate students studying either law or a non-law subject, as well as all graduates and candidates in a non-law career"

"Law students in their penultimate or final year, and final year non-law students."

Am I correct in assuming if we graduated from an English university we are ineligible to apply?
    I reached AC stage last year as a graduate and was encouraged to reapply this year. The country-specific information is probably more focussed on the difference between English and Scottish degrees.

Reactions: ScrappyDoo

tt_xo

Valued Member
    Premium Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Oct 20, 2020

@OB is correct in saying that graduates from English universities are eligible to apply.

Reactions: OB

PirateShip

Esteemed Member
    Premium Member
    Feb 3, 2021
    I reached AC stage last year as a graduate and was encouraged to reapply this year. The country-specific information is probably more focussed on the difference between English and Scottish degrees.

@OB is correct in saying that graduates from English universities are eligible to apply.
    Great! Thanks for helping me clarify that.

I did think it would be a bit strange to specifically exclude English and Welsh graduates. 😅

Reactions: ScrappyDoo and OB

GS0W

Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Feb 15, 2021
    Hi all I just wanted to know if anyone understood the third application question 'one key strategy that CMS is implementing to become the leading law relationship law firm?'
    what does it mean by relationship law firm? sorry I am not sure if i am just overthinking but im definitely lost

syw

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
  • May 29, 2019
    Hi, do you know if CMS still does the Watson Glaser test? I know they did earlier this year, and there used to be a test link from their FAQ's but i can't see it anymore, or any details of the application process.

tt_xo

Valued Member
    Premium Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Oct 20, 2020
    Hi, do you know if CMS still does the Watson Glaser test? I know they did earlier this year, and there used to be a test link from their FAQ's but i can't see it anymore, or any details of the application process.
    Yes they do still do the Watson Glaser test.

OB

Legendary Member
    2020 Community Winner
    Junior Lawyer
  • Feb 10, 2020
    I submitted my online application 3 days ago. Will I get my Watson Glaser test link soon? Last year I got it the next working day...
    As its quite early in the cycle they might not have reviewed any applications yet as I'm not sure I've seen anyone post here that they've gotten WG invites this cycle. I also got one the next day last year but looking back I applied further into the cycle. Hope that puts your mind at ease!

• Love
    Reactions: xtinew

tt_xo

Valued Member
    Premium Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Oct 20, 2020
    I submitted my online application 3 days ago. Will I get my Watson Glaser test link soon? Last year I got it the next working day...
    As always @OB is pretty spot on. It's really good that you submitted the app early however sometimes grad rec arent in the flow of things in the earlier stages and it can take a bit longer to get test links sent out. Please do private message me if it has been over a week and I will contact my CMS manager for you x

• Love
    Reactions: xtinew and OB

aaizaazar

Oct 30, 2021
    Hi guys,

I thought I should just pop on here and let you know that I am a brand ambassador at CMS for the 2021/22 academic year!

It might be useful for me to share some of the most relevant opportunities CMS has available for this year. Applications for both the CMS Academy and the CMS First Steps are now open, and both close on the 24th of December 2021.

A little bit about CMS Academy: The CMS Academy is an innovative and varied three-week programme, and it is the only route to securing a training contract with the firm. CMS Academy participants across the UK offices spend one week in London; and the week's activities are dedicated to learning the business of law. This includes a client visit, a work simulation exercise, panel discussions and plenty of networking opportunities. The second and third weeks are similar to traditional vacation schemes, where participants are placed in a particular department and are assigned work from a supervisor.

You can learn more about the CMS Academy here: http://ocply.co/cms-ba2021-apply-warw

CMS First Steps: This is a one-week programme where you have the opportunity to shadow a trainee solicitor and take part in various skills sessions. The programme’s blend of practical work experience, skills sessions, trainee shadowing, and networking will build your knowledge and your contacts in equal measure. You will be invited to social events, lunches, and coffee networking where you’ll get to meet representatives from across the firm. Successful completion of this programme fast tracks you to an assessment centre for the CMS Academy programme!

You can learn more about CMS First Steps here: http://ocply.co/cms-ba2021-apply-warw

Now I'll add a few reasons why you should apply to CMS and why I am also deciding to apply to CMS:
    • 90% of participants on CMS Academy receive a training contract!
    • No minimum a level or degree requirements anymore. I am aware that some websites still state that CMS does have minimum a level and degree requirements, but I was told at the training day that this has been scrapped and their website also reflect this, so perhaps the websites have not updated this yet.
    • Future-facing firm that has been quick to embrace technology in all aspects.
    • Offers a good work-life balance compared to other firms of its size.
    • First year trainee salary: £44,500. Second year trainee salary: £49,500. Qualification salary: £82,000 (London Office)
    So just to let you know, I just started as a Brand Ambassador so I may not have all the answers to your queries, but if you do have any queries I will contact CMS on your behalf and get back to you as quickly as possible.
    Hi! Hope you're well. I am applying for the CMS Solicitors apprenticeship for 2022. Any advice you can perhaps give?

tt_xo

Valued Member
    Premium Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Oct 20, 2020
    Hi! Hope you're well. I am applying for the CMS Solicitors apprenticeship for 2022. Any advice you can perhaps give?
    What I would is really focus on nailing each step of the application process. I know this sounds quite obvious, but given applicants are younger they may not appreciate how important it might be to do well in the Critical thinking aka watson glaser test to progress. So what I would say is, do atleast 2-3 watson glaser tests a week (quite a few free ones online) and as soon as you have submitted your critical thinking test, get one of your family members to help you with interview techniques. There are so many tips about this on TCLA, but practicing examples of times where you've shown resilience, team work etc will help. Make sure you know a lot about CMS and its clients, as well as why your applying to CMS in particular. Preparing for these types of questions should help you for the AC also. Good luck and message me if you need any more help!

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.