Commercial awareness question

futuretraineesolicitor

Legendary Member
Forum Winner
Dec 14, 2019
Hello, all. Could someone please help me out with a commercial awareness question? I was preparing a news story for my interviews. I wanted to talk about Adam Neumann (the WeWork CEO) raising money for his new startup called "Flow" which is basically WeWork for the residential market. We all know how he misused VC money in WeWork's case but despite all this, he was able to raise money again. This is something I find interesting but, I don't understand how I can link this story to law firms. Could someone please point me in the right direction here? My views on this are that, if he is able to succeed with his new startup, this will be good for the deal market in general because more people would give a second chance to repeat entrepreneurs and obviously if deals and investments go up, it will benefit the corporate department of law firms. But, I still don't feel confident in the way that I've linked the story to law firms. Would appreciate any help.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hello, all. Could someone please help me out with a commercial awareness question? I was preparing a news story for my interviews. I wanted to talk about Adam Neumann (the WeWork CEO) raising money for his new startup called "Flow" which is basically WeWork for the residential market. We all know how he misused VC money in WeWork's case but despite all this, he was able to raise money again. This is something I find interesting but, I don't understand how I can link this story to law firms. Could someone please point me in the right direction here? My views on this are that, if he is able to succeed with his new startup, this will be good for the deal market in general because more people would give a second chance to repeat entrepreneurs and obviously if deals and investments go up, it will benefit the corporate department of law firms. But, I still don't feel confident in the way that I've linked the story to law firms. Would appreciate any help.
For any business like this and for any raising of funds process, lawyers are going to be involved. That’s enough - it doesn’t need to be linked to the law firm directly.

So I would think more about how lawyers would be advising Neumann or the investors. Also think about what the investors may be concerned about given Neumann’s history and how lawyers could try to mitigate those risks.

• ℹ️
Reactions: futuretraineesolicitor

futuretraineesolicitor

Legendary Member
Forum Winner
Dec 14, 2019
For any business like this and for any raising of funds process, lawyers are going to be involved. That’s enough - it doesn’t need to be linked to the law firm directly.

So I would think more about how lawyers would be advising Neumann or the investors. Also think about what the investors may be concerned about given Neumann’s history and how lawyers could try to mitigate those risks.
Thank you so much for your answer, Jessica.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.