Commercial Awareness tips ahead of an assessment centre

elladarby

Feb 3, 2023
Hi!

This is my first post on here, so by way of introduction, my name is Ella, I have graduated with a 2.1 from Bristol Law School, and am doing my LLM in Commercial Law currently.

I am wondering if anyone has any tips or advice on how to develop my commercial awareness ahead of my assessment centre at Mills & Reeve. I really, really, really want to succeed at the AC, however I find it hard to be commerically aware, it is a very ill-defined term in my opinion, and find simply reading the FT has not given me sufficient knowledge in the past to convert interviews into TC's.

Should I focus on the sectors that M&R work in, or the services they offer? It's worrying me how to apply the things in business news to how a law firm would be affected by these issues.

Any advice would be appreciated because I'm stressing out at the classic advice hasnt worked for me thus far.

Thanks! :)

Reactions: MixxB

divaination

Esteemed Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer
  • Oct 31, 2022
    not sure what they do at M&R but i think a good understanding of the deals they do and the services they provide (think like a practising lawyer!) will help u weather any upcoming AC. an easy exercise u can do is open a news story on FT e.g., new merger, company goes into administration, mass layoffs,... and then ask yourself, how is a law firm going to be involved in this, what can M&R do for companies in this situation - and if u have time, you can also ask, from what past expertise can M&R draw on to demonstrate to client that they can solve this issue? think of all the things lawyers have to check and consider and complete, rooting for u to perform ur best in the AC !!!

Reactions: elladarby

danielnesbitt

Apr 2, 2023
    Hi!

This is my first post on here, so by way of introduction, my name is Ella, I have graduated with a 2.1 from Bristol Law School, and am doing my LLM in Commercial Law currently.

I am wondering if anyone has any tips or advice on how to develop my commercial awareness ahead of my assessment centre at Mills & Reeve. I really, really, really want to succeed at the AC, however I find it hard to be commerically aware, it is a very ill-defined term in my opinion, and find simply reading the FT has not given me sufficient knowledge in the past to convert interviews into TC's.

Should I focus on the sectors that M&R work in, or the services they offer? It's worrying me how to apply the things in business news to how a law firm would be affected by these issues.

Any advice would be appreciated because I'm stressing out at the classic advice hasnt worked for me thus far.

Thanks! :)
    As well as reading the FT, trying to work through some of the core concepts on investopedia, investing to some degree yourself, learning how startups and funding works, or even getting into crypto (don't flame me for the latter) can all be quite potent drivers to learn more about commerce and finance, IMO

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.