Commute or Hotel

jamesf

Standard Member
Junior Lawyer
  • Mar 2, 2021
    Hi All,

I recently secured a Winter Vacation Scheme with a city firm and I am wondering if it is best to commute or stay in a hotel.

The commute would be
    1. A 30 minute drive.
    2. 30-40 minute train.
    3. Then a 15 minute tube to the office.
    Is this feasible every day or is it too risky? Does anyone have any experience with commuting for vacation schemes against staying in a hotel.

Thanks in advance.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hi All,

I recently secured a Winter Vacation Scheme with a city firm and I am wondering if it is best to commute or stay in a hotel.

The commute would be
    1. A 30 minute drive.
    2. 30-40 minute train.
    Is this feasible every day or is it too risky? Does anyone have any experience with commuting for vacation schemes against staying in a hotel.

Thanks in advance.
    Hotels are going to be pretty expensive, but I can understand the logic of at least exploring it as an option thinking that it may save time.

However, unless you are staying close to the office/very centrally (which will be expensive), you’ll typically find commuting across London can take time anyway. I am in zone 2 and it still takes me 50 minutes to get into the city door to door (and that’s only 5-6 miles). When I travel from my parents, which is similar to what you have suggested it’s only an extra 30 minutes but is over 20 miles in total.

A lot of people do commute and it is reasonable to do so, especially for a short winter scheme. You could potentially connect with other vac scheme students to see if anyone has a spare room in their student house if they live/rent in London (it may be the case their roommates have gone home for the winter break).

James Carrabino

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Junior Lawyer 11
    Oct 12, 2021
    Hi All,

The commute would be
    1. A 30 minute drive.
    2. 30-40 minute train.

Thanks in advance.
    Congratulations on securing your winter scheme, that's a huge achievement! In addition to @Jessica Booker's points, I might personally prefer to commute from home just to avoid the uncertainty of being in a new environment whilst doing the scheme, but ultimately it has to be what you are most comfortable with.

Reactions: jamesf

TC fiend

Legendary Member
  • Apr 27, 2021
    Hi All,

The commute would be
    1. A 30 minute drive.
    2. 30-40 minute train.

Thanks in advance.
    I think it also depends on what time your last train home is. There may be opportunities after work to socialize / network with other vac schemers or people at the firm. Would be a shame to miss out because you have to catch the train home. That said, hotels are expensive. I guess ideally see if you’ve got a friend whose couch you can crash on if things go late!

Reactions: jamesf

jamesf

Standard Member
    Junior Lawyer
  • Mar 2, 2021
    Hotels are going to be pretty expensive, but I can understand the logic of at least exploring it as an option thinking that it may save time.

However, unless you are staying close to the office/very centrally (which will be expensive), you’ll typically find commuting across London can take time anyway. I am in zone 2 and it still takes me 50 minutes to get into the city door to door (and that’s only 5-6 miles). When I travel from my parents, which is similar to what you have suggested it’s only an extra 30 minutes but is over 20 miles in total.

A lot of people do commute and it is reasonable to do so, especially for a short winter scheme. You could potentially connect with other vac scheme students to see if anyone has a spare room in their student house if they live/rent in London (it may be the case their roommates have gone home for the winter break).

Congratulations on securing your winter scheme, that's a huge achievement! In addition to @Jessica Booker's points, I might personally prefer to commute from home just to avoid the uncertainty of being in a new environment whilst doing the scheme, but ultimately it has to be what you are most comfortable with.

I think it also depends on what time your last train home is. There may be opportunities after work to socialize / network with other vac schemers or people at the firm. Would be a shame to miss out because you have to catch the train home. That said, hotels are expensive. I guess ideally see if you’ve got a friend whose couch you can crash on if things go late!
    Thanks guys, I think I shall commute last train out of Euston is at 1:30 so if I wanted to socialize/network there would be plenty of late trains to get.

123Law1234

Star Member
    M&A Bootcamp
    Junior Lawyer 36
    Sep 4, 2019
    Hi All,

The commute would be
    1. A 30 minute drive.
    2. 30-40 minute train.

Thanks in advance.

Congratulations on securing the vacation scheme and good luck!

When I completed in-person vacation schemes I commuted. The main issue I found was that the trains weren't always reliable. I left fairly early to leave time in case of delays and I often arrived home late.

If you are on a winter scheme then it may be more feasible as they are generally for a shorter amount of time. However, if I was going for a in-person vacation scheme again I would almost certainly stay in a hotel.

If you stay in a hotel then you should look at ones which are near a tube line rather than a train as the tube is much more frequent and in my experience a lot more reliable.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.