Competency questions

PrancingUnicorns

Aug 14, 2018
Hi all, I've had a couple of questions about competency questions -

1. Is it okay to use your responsibilities and behaviour during an internship as examples to competency questions e.g. time management, teamwork etc. as opposed to having to draw from extra-curriculars and one's general academic life? I find it to be more recent and relevant to draw from them, but I've also read opinion advising against this.

2. Secondly, can anyone who has experienced feedback on their competency question responses elaborate on the kind of responses that are satisfactory? E.g. what responses are considered superficial/inadequate, even though they do technically answer the question.

Thanks!

Reactions: Salma

Nicole

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Feb 28, 2018
For your first question - are you referring to a law internship?

I think you can, but it's better to use extra-curricular activities. It's an opportunity to sell your personality/hobbies/experiences as a reason to pick you. And using a vacation scheme or legal work experience wouldn't do a great job of differentiating you from other candidates.

PrancingUnicorns

Aug 14, 2018
For your first question - are you referring to a law internship?

I think you can, but it's better to use extra-curricular activities. It's an opportunity to sell your personality/hobbies/experiences as a reason to pick you. And using a vacation scheme or legal work experience wouldn't do a great job of differentiating you from other candidates.

Yes, law internship.

Salma

Legendary Member
Feb 28, 2018
Would this apply to competency questions asked during interview as well?

I think it would depend on the question, the more examples you can provide, whether that would be extra-curricular/paid or unpaid work etc the better. I think it is best if you can draw on a number of examples to answer competency questions in order to show that you’re a well-rounded person.

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
Staff member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Premium Member
M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    I agree with all of the advice so far.

To answer your second question, how do you feel about using the STAR or CAR structure?

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
    Staff member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    Thanks everyone for the responses!

@Jaysen, I'm comfortable using that structure, just worried about the trickier competency questions and how meaningful my example could be, especially if stuck.

That's fair. It's not always easy to come up with a relevant example on the spot. I used to get stuck trying making a link between what I did and how I met those trickier competencies. It felt quite contrived.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.