Completed LPC and making applications

QuentinBlake

Nov 29, 2021
Hey everyone! New here so just wanted to get your thoughts on my situation below and my chances of securing a TC. I know a lot of my chances will hinge upon my ability to write applications/perform in interviews, but any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

I completed the GDL in June 2020 and the LPC in June 2021, achieving a commendation in the former and distinction in the latter. My A levels were AAA and I got a mid-2.1 from a Russell Group university. In terms of legal work experience, since early 2020 I’ve worked in an admin role at a law firm, however, I completed an online vacation scheme at a City firm in summer 2020 and have done weeks here and there in City firms (a mixture of internships and work experiences).

I’ve had a couple of years out of applying due to some family issues at home and to concentrate on the LPC, and I am finally looking to get back into applying for vacation schemes/training contracts. However, I’m worried about the changes to the qualification process and how law firms will see the gap between completing the first vacation scheme and now, as well as self-funding the LPC. Do you think this will affect my chances of securing a VS/TC? What do you think are my best options going forward? Thank you! :)

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hey everyone! New here so just wanted to get your thoughts on my situation below and my chances of securing a TC. I know a lot of my chances will hinge upon my ability to write applications/perform in interviews, but any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

I completed the GDL in June 2020 and the LPC in June 2021, achieving a commendation in the former and distinction in the latter. My A levels were AAA and I got a mid-2.1 from a Russell Group university. In terms of legal work experience, since early 2020 I’ve worked in an admin role at a law firm, however, I completed an online vacation scheme at a City firm in summer 2020 and have done weeks here and there in City firms (a mixture of internships and work experiences).

I’ve had a couple of years out of applying due to some family issues at home and to concentrate on the LPC, and I am finally looking to get back into applying for vacation schemes/training contracts. However, I’m worried about the changes to the qualification process and how law firms will see the gap between completing the first vacation scheme and now, as well as self-funding the LPC. Do you think this will affect my chances of securing a VS/TC? What do you think are my best options going forward? Thank you! :)
The LPC will give you exemption from SQE1, so I think at worst a firm will just expect you to do SQE2 if they want you to do that qualification route. I therefore don’t think doing the LPC will hold you back.

I think the main concern will be why you are applying to a TC now rather than in previous years. There could be an assumption you have just been unsuccessful after many rounds of applying - so if that is not the case you may want to try to explain that (albeit briefly) in your applications.

Reactions: QuentinBlake and AvniD

AvniD

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Gold Member
Premium Member
Oct 25, 2021

I made applications in the year after mostly self-funding my LPC and coming back to law after a career change so I can understand the anxiety of thinking that these things 'are bad' and negatively impact your chances of getting a TC. However, I agree with @Jessica Booker- neither self-funding the LPC nor your break should reflect badly on your applications as you have grounded reasons for both of them. Be prepared to discuss these topics in interviews with honesty (I was asked about a break I took when I returned to India in mine!) and ensure that your focus remains on writing high-quality, well-researched and rounded applications. And please do stay in touch with any other questions you have or help you need with your applications! 😇

James Carrabino

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Gold Member
Premium Member
Forum Team
Junior Lawyer 11
Oct 12, 2021
@QuentinBlake you have already received some excellent input from @AvniD and @Jessica Booker but I should mention that your gap between a summer vacation scheme in 2020 and applying now is not all that big. At worst they will assume you had one unsuccessful cycle but I don't think that that would be a huge deal and I know of people who finally received TC offers years after completing the LPC!

I know someone who completed her LPC in 2015 - 2016 and got her TC offer a few months ago. Her advice for people in the same boat is that it is definitely possible but prepare for questions on why you have not yet got a training contract. In your case you have a very good reason for why you have not yet received an offer so I wouldn't worry, but also you may not even get asked this as you have only been out of the process for a single year :)

QuentinBlake

Nov 29, 2021
The LPC will give you exemption from SQE1, so I think at worst a firm will just expect you to do SQE2 if they want you to do that qualification route. I therefore don’t think doing the LPC will hold you back.

I think the main concern will be why you are applying to a TC now rather than in previous years. There could be an assumption you have just been unsuccessful after many rounds of applying - so if that is not the case you may want to try to explain that (albeit briefly) in your applications.
Thank you so much for responding. I'm glad to hear about what you've put about the SQE as that was a key concern of mine. I thought that I may be 'out of luck' if I do not get a training contract within the next few years, but it seems this is not the case.

That is a fair concern for firms to have. How would you recommend I convey this on my applications? I'd be willing to let firms know beyond the family issues at home I mentioned above, if necessary.

QuentinBlake

Nov 29, 2021
I made applications in the year after mostly self-funding my LPC and coming back to law after a career change so I can understand the anxiety of thinking that these things 'are bad' and negatively impact your chances of getting a TC. However, I agree with @Jessica Booker- neither self-funding the LPC nor your break should reflect badly on your applications as you have grounded reasons for both of them. Be prepared to discuss these topics in interviews with honesty (I was asked about a break I took when I returned to India in mine!) and ensure that your focus remains on writing high-quality, well-researched and rounded applications. And please do stay in touch with any other questions you have or help you need with your applications! 😇
Thank you so much for your response. It is super reassuring to know that other people have had similar experiences and situations. I will ensure that I prepare to discuss my reasons in interviews going forward, and I will be sure to stay in touch! Thanks so much again.

• 🤝
Reactions: AvniD

QuentinBlake

Nov 29, 2021
@QuentinBlake you have already received some excellent input from @AvniD and @Jessica Booker but I should mention that your gap between a summer vacation scheme in 2020 and applying now is not all that big. At worst they will assume you had one unsuccessful cycle but I don't think that that would be a huge deal and I know of people who finally received TC offers years after completing the LPC!

I know someone who completed her LPC in 2015 - 2016 and got her TC offer a few months ago. Her advice for people in the same boat is that it is definitely possible but prepare for questions on why you have not yet got a training contract. In your case you have a very good reason for why you have not yet received an offer so I wouldn't worry, but also you may not even get asked this as you have only been out of the process for a single year :)
Thank you so much for responding - this is really helpful advice. I keep getting caught up with there being a gap, without realising that the gap is actually relatively small. Thanks again!

• Love
Reactions: James Carrabino

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.