Concession LPC exams

RaduHulhut

Feb 12, 2023
Hello everyone!

I am currently self-funding the LPC LLM at ULaw, Jan to Oct. Since the beginning I have been struggling concentrating and working on my modules - always felt like I was not able to give my 100% for unknown reasons. That's how I ended up seeking for help through a therapist - who later picked that I might have ADHD + fear of failure, which honestly made 100% sense. I am already booked for an ADHD assessment in August.

Now the issue was that it all happened 2/3 weeks before my core module exams. I was able to take advocacy, real estate and professional conduct but I applied for concession for BLP and taking into consideration to apply for concession for DR as well - as I had a hard time dealing with the news and somehow the idea behind a presumed diagnosis. I am really, really passionate about becoming a solicitor and I do not see myslef doing anything else.

I was wondering what firms will think about concession and how kindly they will take it? - I ahve a week worth of work experience in a corporate US firm in the city and I volunteer with CAB. I had not worked as a paralegal but I volunteered during the undergrad for my univeristy's legal clinic.

I have been massively stressing out in the couple of weeks on how the firms will see my concession - any advcie will help.

Thank you.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hello everyone!

I am currently self-funding the LPC LLM at ULaw, Jan to Oct. Since the beginning I have been struggling concentrating and working on my modules - always felt like I was not able to give my 100% for unknown reasons. That's how I ended up seeking for help through a therapist - who later picked that I might have ADHD + fear of failure, which honestly made 100% sense. I am already booked for an ADHD assessment in August.

Now the issue was that it all happened 2/3 weeks before my core module exams. I was able to take advocacy, real estate and professional conduct but I applied for concession for BLP and taking into consideration to apply for concession for DR as well - as I had a hard time dealing with the news and somehow the idea behind a presumed diagnosis. I am really, really passionate about becoming a solicitor and I do not see myslef doing anything else.

I was wondering what firms will think about concession and how kindly they will take it? - I ahve a week worth of work experience in a corporate US firm in the city and I volunteer with CAB. I had not worked as a paralegal but I volunteered during the undergrad for my univeristy's legal clinic.

I have been massively stressing out in the couple of weeks on how the firms will see my concession - any advcie will help.

Thank you.
What is the potential outcome of the concessions? Eg would you grade be revisited, would you have to resit?

I ask as many universities won’t retrospectively apply extenuating circumstances, so this is something different to the norm.

Reactions: RaduHulhut

RaduHulhut

Feb 12, 2023
As I did not feel fit to sit the first attempt and they accepted/will presumably accept my concessions (I reached out to the disability team from my campus as well and I have been advised to apply for concession if I feel like it), the grade will not be revisited, it will not be capped.

It is basically an addition first atempt - on my transcript under the "stage" it is going to be 1b instead of 1a.

I will also probably finish all my exams in spring 2024 rather than october 2023 - I think uni of law will schedule those exams for next spring. I am also currently applying for TCs.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
As I did not feel fit to sit the first attempt and they accepted/will presumably accept my concessions (I reached out to the disability team from my campus as well and I have been advised to apply for concession if I feel like it), the grade will not be revisited, it will not be capped.

It is basically an addition first atempt - on my transcript under the "stage" it is going to be 1b instead of 1a.

I will also probably finish all my exams in spring 2024 rather than october 2023 - I think uni of law will schedule those exams for next spring. I am also currently applying for TCs.
If it is effectively a first sitting, there is no issue. Your grades will be seen as a first sitting by academics and recruiters. You can just explain you took the exams at a later date to ensure the reasonable adjustments required were applied to your assessments.

LegalEagle999

Standard Member
Jul 25, 2022

Hi there I’m in a similar situation - my LPC concession application has been accepted, I’ve since retaken the exam but I was concerned about the “stage” option on the transcript - is it that it would be down as 1b? Rather than 2a?

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.