Contract misery

Franzmax

Mar 2, 2024
I'm a 2nd year accounting and law undergraduate and I scored 62% on my contract law exam.

I worked consistently all semester only to flop over Christmas and now I want to kill myself.

This grade is pathetic and permanent unless I resit the whole year . . .

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
I'm a 2nd year accounting and law undergraduate and I scored 62% on my contract law exam.

I worked consistently all semester only to flop over Christmas and now I want to kill myself.

62 in contract is perfectly fine. I don’t think it is anywhere near as bad as you are suggesting.

dinoorchestra

Star Member
Premium Member
  • Feb 5, 2023
    I dont think that is a bad grade. I did my degree during the COVID-19 pandemic with personal and disability disadvantages because of the online teaching impacting on my academic performance. I still got a vac scheme last year and was successful again this year to get one. What counts is not just the grades in the past but your ongoing performance, personal skills and interest in becoming a lawyer. And 62% is still good anyways.

u26jm18

• Jan 17, 2024

If it makes you feel any better, I failed my contract law exam with a pathetic 38% (despite my efforts). You are not always going to perform at your best level on the day, and that's totally fine! I had many more disasters similar to my contract law exam, but I still graduated with a first-class, went onto obtain a paralegal role at a 'silver circle' law firm and secure a variety of VS schemes. In other words, don't beat yourself down - you have plenty of time to improve, you just need to trust the process.

(also 62% isn't even that bad).

Reactions: Jessica Booker

hannah04

Legendary Member
    Jan 9, 2023

That's not a bad grade at all, especially considering contract law is definitely one of the harder modules for everyone. Don't beat yourself up and I highly doubt this will be a dealbreaker for any firm!

therealslimshady

Star Member
    Feb 27, 2024
    62% is an excellent grade for Contract Law. Law firms more often look beyond the grades when assessing candidates. At the end of the day, an exam is a memory test under pressurised circumstances. It doesn't define you as a person.

prospectiveswitcher

Legendary Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Aug 18, 2022

I got multiple 2.2 & 3rd module grades in my degree and still secured a TC at a top firm with 3 VS offers also (that I didn't attend due to schedule issues in the end). It really won't matter much - grades are a hygiene factor, not a differentiator. Focus on getting a 2.1 overall and you'll be fine.

• 🏆
    Reactions: Sharon Wu

Aks.Khurana

Staff member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
  • Sep 13, 2023

I agree with all the above posts! One bad score will not affect your performance. Plus, 62 is not a bad score at all!

I'm a future trainee at a very competitive US law firm and had other offers from great places. I've had a 55 in one module and a few 2:1s as well. As long as you're overall in the right grade boundary, do not let this become a limiting belief. Inconsistencies and minor failures are a part of life.

Reactions: Jaysen

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.