Cover letter formalities

goonhoon2

Oct 15, 2019
I am not too familiar with the correct formalities of English cover letters and have a few questions.

1) Are any of the following omissible?
  • "... as advertised on ABC." - to show where I found the vacancy.
  • "Thank you for your time and consideration."
or anything similar to that

2) When sending my resume and cover letter attached to an email, should I write an introduction and state which position I am applying to just in the body of the email or in both the email and the document itself?

I know these are mostly little details but I want to make sure.
Cheers

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
I am not too familiar with the correct formalities of English cover letters and have a few questions.

1) Are any of the following omissible?
  • "... as advertised on ABC." - to show where I found the vacancy.
  • "Thank you for your time and consideration."
or anything similar to that

2) When sending my resume and cover letter attached to an email, should I write an introduction and state which position I am applying to just in the body of the email or in both the email and the document itself?

I know these are mostly little details but I want to make sure.
Cheers

no need to say where you saw the role.

you can say thanks if that’s your sign off - there’s others that might be suitable too.

Your cover letter only needs to either be in the email or as an attachment - not both.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
I was wondering if it is a fatal issue that I signed off my cover letter with "Thank you for your consideration." without putting my name? (My personal details can be found elsewhere in the application)o_O
Unlikely to be fatal unless you wrote something like “yours sincerely” in after the above sentence

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.