Cover letter questions

PlimptonWeld

Star Member
Jul 13, 2022
I'm hoping to apply to a few 1st Year schemes; the covering letter is a requisite and I was wondering if you were allowed to namedrop other firms in the cover letter or would that be a no-no?

Eg. For my "Why law?" section, I elaborated on how I've attended a law firm dinner at Goodwin LLP in hopes of expanding my knowledge of the role of commercial lawyers. Can I mention this for an app to Matheson LLP? (Made-up example names) Also mentioning how meeting a commercial lawyer from XYZ firm really opened up my interest in commercial law for an application for ABC firm?

AvniD

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Gold Member
Premium Member
Oct 25, 2021
I'm hoping to apply to a few 1st Year schemes; the covering letter is a requisite and I was wondering if you were allowed to namedrop other firms in the cover letter or would that be a no-no?

Eg. For my "Why law?" section, I elaborated on how I've attended a law firm dinner at Goodwin LLP in hopes of expanding my knowledge of the role of commercial lawyers. Can I mention this for an app to Matheson LLP? (Made-up example names) Also mentioning how meeting a commercial lawyer from XYZ firm really opened up my interest in commercial law for an application for ABC firm?
You're definitely allowed to name-drop but it would probably be most natural and impactful if you name-drop in order to substantiate your motivations, as you already have in the example you've used above.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.