Covington Application

gricole

Legendary Member
Premium Member
M&A Bootcamp
  • Jul 6, 2018
    I started working on my Covington App and have a few questions:

1) Should the cover letter be addressed to Hilary Prescott (training partner) according to Chambers and Students or Claire Astbury (the Legal Recruiting and Professional Development Manager) or as it says in the FAQ on the firm's website "Please address the covering letter to ‘The Graduate Recruitment Team."

2) How do I go about the question "If you could experience first-hand one historical event, what would it be and why?" – 250 words.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    I started working on my Covington App and have a few questions:

1) Should the cover letter be addressed to Hilary Prescott (training partner) according to Chambers and Students or Claire Astbury (the Legal Recruiting and Professional Development Manager) or as it says in the FAQ on the firm's website "Please address the covering letter to ‘The Graduate Recruitment Team."

2) How do I go about the question "If you could experience first-hand one historical event, what would it be and why?" – 250 words.

1) Go with what the firm says

2) you think about a historical event that has some kind of link to your interests and you explain why you would want to experience it

Oliver Gilliland

Distinguished Member
    Sep 6, 2018
    I'm also in the process of writing my Covington application.

I was wondering whether anyone had any thoughts re. the question 'What key attributes do you believe are necessary to become a successful lawyer?'. Is is necessary to simply list various attributes it is necessary for successful lawyers to possess and explain why they are relevant to their line of work, or relate them back to me/ explain how I can demonstrate those attributes?

Frank

Valued Member
    Dec 12, 2018
    I'm also in the process of writing my Covington application.

I was wondering whether anyone had any thoughts re. the question 'What key attributes do you believe are necessary to become a successful lawyer?'. Is is necessary to simply list various attributes it is necessary for successful lawyers to possess and explain why they are relevant to their line of work, or relate them back to me/ explain how I can demonstrate those attributes?

Hey I had the same doubts myself! My guess is to go for the former (and explain how) because otherwise they’d have mentioned to write how we demonstrated those skills in the past. For example, the question after the one in your quote asks to explain when we brought a positive contribution to a team :)

Reactions: Daniel Boden and Jaysen

ComplianceChange

Legendary Member
    May 16, 2019
    Is it acceptable to refer to Covington & Burling as Covington after writing the full name once?

Yes, providing that after the first "Covington & Burling" you put a (Covington) in brackets- I attended an open day there and they regularly referred to the firm as either "Cov" or "Covington".

Not all firms seem to like this though! For example Norton Rose Fullbright do not like being referred to as just "Norton." If you are still in doubt don't risk it and shorten the firms name!

Osh

Distinguished Member
    Nov 18, 2018
    Yes, providing that after the first "Covington & Burling" you put a (Covington) in brackets- I attended an open day there and they regularly referred to the firm as either "Cov" or "Covington".

Not all firms seem to like this though! For example Norton Rose Fullbright do not like being referred to as just "Norton." If you are still in doubt don't risk it and shorten the firms name!

Ahh alright thank you, I'm within the word count with the full name anyway.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.