Covington & Burling Interview 2022

Elizabeth K

Esteemed Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Jul 6, 2021
Please state the month/year you interviewed at the firm.

February 2022

Please give an overview of the day with approximate timings.

Day 1: 1 hr group exercise
Day 2: 1 hr partner and senior associate interview

Please provide a summary of each assessment on the day with approximate timings.

1) Group Exercise
You are in a group of 7 and all get sent information about a potential acquisition. Following this you are given around 20 minutes to prepare a pitch to a partner on the recommendations you have. You then present this to a partner who asks questions about your proposal and challenges you on what you say.

2) General Interview
This was one of the weirder interviews I have attended – it felt like at some points the partners spent more time talking to each other than asking me questions. Online reviews say that Covington ask obscure questions – they are absolutely right. I got asked my favourite book, who I admire, who would I invite to dinner and why and what would I cook them. I also got asked an interesting conversation I have had recently. Other normal ones included why Covington etc. I didn’t get asked why law but instead they spent a lot of time talking about my politics degree so they asked why didn’t I go into politics but it was framed as quite a close ended question (reflecting I don’t think I got my motivation for law across well enough as I was slightly confused by the framing of the question). The interviewers themselves were very nice and personable I think the format of the interview threw me off slightly!

What is your best advice for each aspect of the assessment on the day? Please break this down for each assessment. This can include advice for preparation, as well as tips for the day.

1) Group Exercise
The information given is very similar to the mock ones given on TCLA. I found this part of the process OK – it was quite hard online as people's wifi kept dropping off and it was easy to accidentally talk over people. I think having someone who allocates time and watches the time is very important and make sure you are respecting what everyone is saying and being a team player! For example, if someone doesn’t speak a lot try to include them by saying ‘what are your thoughts on this’? Other group exercise advice found on Bright Network / TCLA applies here and nothing unusual can be found in this group exercise.

2) Interview
Knowing why Covington, why law and practicing odd questions is my main advice.

Were you successful?

No

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.