CRD V

Daniel Boden

Legendary Member
Trainee
Highest Rated Member
  • Sep 6, 2018
    What is the CRD V? I'm completely lost, I think it may be something to do with liquidity and banks
    CRD V is the fifth package of the Capital Requirements Directives (CRD) for the financial services industry. The Directives were introduced by the EU to reflect the Basel II and Basel III rules on capital measurement and capital standards (such as liquidity requirements as you mentioned) for banks and other financial services which were introduced following the 2007/2008 Global Financial Crisis.

The Bank of England has produced a note explaining the changes which I'll link below:

Jacob Miller

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Forum Team
  • Feb 15, 2020
    What is the CRD V? I'm completely lost, I think it may be something to do with liquidity and banks
    Everything Dan has said is spot on:
    CRD V is the fifth package of the Capital Requirements Directives (CRD) for the financial services industry. The Directives were introduced by the EU to reflect the Basel II and Basel III rules on capital measurement and capital standards (such as liquidity requirements as you mentioned) for banks and other financial services which were introduced following the 2007/2008 Global Financial Crisis.

The Bank of England has produced a note explaining the changes which I'll link below:
    One of the major risks identified after the GFC was the fact that banks and institutions had almost non-existent corporate governance, were severely undercapitalised and horrifically overexposed to risky markets. Britain also saw a run in the banks (e.g. Northern Rock) indicating huge liquidity issues. CRD arising from Basel 2/3 was one of a variety of measures brought in to prevent similar situations from happening again through both direct and indirect means.

Jacob Miller

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Forum Team
  • Feb 15, 2020
    Just to supplement my above, I find Investopedia's breakdown of the background to the issues and Basel 3 more generally quite good:

• ℹ️
    Reactions: Daniel Boden

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.