Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi there,

I wanted some serious advice about the culture as a woman in US law firms. I understand that sexual harrasment albeit a sensitive topic,is extremely common in law firms and as a young female mid 20s-30s having had faced some personal issues in the past, I'd like to know if anyone had insight into what kind of environment is to be expected and specific US firms which have the best culture for women.

I have heard and read some extremely distressing stories about MC firms - CC,Freshfields and Linklaters (being the worst) pertaining to the culture as a female and feel it would be in my interest to avoid applying to the Magic Circle altogether but would appreciate any advice. As mentioned earlier whilst I have the credentials,ambition and drive to work at these firms, due to past incidents I've faced and that have taken a serious toll on me, I'm worried that some firms may be worse than others and an unhealthy environment to work in.

I have not heard/seen/read as much bad press about US firms and was specifically interested in firms like Latham,Willkie,Ropes&Gray,Gibson Dunn,Akin Gump & Milbank.

I'd appreciate as much honesty as possible,especially from any females - this is something which will have serious consequences on me and specifically my mental health in the long run

One factor to consider is that there are many more people in MC firms in London than there are US firms, which may factor in to the reporting aspects. There is probably around 10,000 people working in MC firms in London alone, and where London offices tend to be much smaller for the US firms, you just won’t get as many incidences as there is probably fewer people. For instance, there is about 100 lawyers including partners at Wilkie’s office in London, it will be over 1,000 for a MC firm.

I know of stories, especially the high profile ones in the legal press, but I personally never experienced any issues within any of the MC firms I worked in. Having had conversations with many of my female friends I worked with on this, it seems like neither did they. I also know a whole host of women who wouldn’t have put up with it if it did happen to them. And if anything things have got better since I have left.

However, it does happens, but then it will happen in many organisations unfortunately - you could have the best firm culture in the world and yet it could be brought down by one individual.

My personal view is that it isn’t “extremely common” though - but that unfortunately there are incidences. I think firms are getting better at supporting people at calling out these incidences though, and in putting in measures to reduce/remove them too. Things have moved on significantly in terms of inclusion (and by that I don’t just mean for women) in my time and overwhelmingly in a positive direction.

I definitely wouldn’t assume all MC firms are the same though. Even if we do say for the sake of this conversation that the three you have mentioned all have a toxic sexist culture, then there are two that don’t and that you are potentially missing out on, and all because of them being labelled an MC firm. I’d personally advise not to label up firms in this way - some US firms will be much closer in culture than another MC firm.

Reactions: AvniD

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.