CV Blind Interviews

Naomi

Esteemed Member
Premium Member
Oct 14, 2018
Hi all,

I was just reflecting on my Mayer Brown interview and wondering what you all thought of CV blind interviews and/or how to approach these.

I personally found it a bit difficult because I would keep forgetting they hadn't read anything about me and so I think my answers could have come across clearer had I not been worried about repeating myself. It felt like I was building on points I'd made in my application and then backtracking when I realised there was no context.

And also trying not to mention my university when talking about my involvement in societies etc. felt a bit unnatural although grad rec advised us this way.

It probably didn't help that the partner actually said at the end "sorry forgot to say this at the start that this is a CV blind interview..."

Going forward, is there a list somewhere of firms which interview this way?

Reactions: Salma

Salma

Legendary Member
Feb 28, 2018
Thanks @Helena,

Firms that operate a CV-blind interview:

1. Clifford Chance
2. MacFarlanes
3. Mayer Brown
4. Ropes & Gray
5. RPC
6. A&O

If anyone else knows of any other law firms that operate a CV-blind interview, please comment below and I will add it to the list :)

Last edited:
  • 🏆
Reactions: Jaysen and AJ

Abstruser

Legendary Member
Trainee
Jul 19, 2018
I’m not sure whether A&O also do a CV blind interview, but in my experience my interviewer did not know where I went to university (we were discussing his background after the interview and he asked whether I had attended his alma mater). He also did not have a copy of my application form.

Salma

Legendary Member
Feb 28, 2018
Does anyone have any tips on how to approach these?

Often in a CV blind interview, the first question will be tell me about yourself, so, I start with my name, educational background, extra-curricular activities, hobbies and interests. I then briefly summarise my legal and non-legal experience.

I hope this helps.

Zahra

Star Member
Future Trainee
Nov 9, 2018
Often in a CV blind interview, the first question will be tell me about yourself, so, I start with my name, educational background, extra-curricular activities, hobbies and interests. I then briefly summarise my legal and non-legal experience.

I hope this helps.
It does, thanks very much!

• 🤝

BMtc22

Junior Lawyer
Dec 23, 2019

I hope this helps.

I have a CV blind interview coming up and I am really unsure how to approach this. I am an international student who completed an undergraduate degree in another country but I am completing an LLM in London. Much of my professional background is attributable to the way my undergraduate degree was structured back home. How could I put my experience into context? and does a blind CV process just mean I can't mention the name of any school I attended and firm which I worked for? Thank you so much

Salma

Legendary Member
Feb 28, 2018
I have a CV blind interview coming up and I am really unsure how to approach this. I am an international student who completed an undergraduate degree in another country but I am completing an LLM in London. Much of my professional background is attributable to the way my undergraduate degree was structured back home. How could I put my experience into context? and does a blind CV process just mean I can't mention the name of any school I attended and firm which I worked for? Thank you so much

A blind CV process just means that the interview will have no information about you (other than your name) so you can mention the name of school(s) you have attended and any relevant experience.

Often the first question in a CV blind interview will be tell me about yourself, so I just start off with my name, educational background, extracurriculars, hobbies and interests and then try and fit in any legal/non-legal experience, I hope this helps!

Reactions: Eva

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
I’m not sure whether A&O also do a CV blind interview, but in my experience my interviewer did not know where I went to university (we were discussing his background after the interview and he asked whether I had attended his alma mater). He also did not have a copy of my application form.

there shows the problem with CV blind.... it never really is if the interviewer asks you questions like this.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019

I hope this helps.

this is literally the worst question someone could ask for a blind CV process - completely negates the reasoning of having CV blind in the first place :confused:

Reactions: A4991 and Daniel Boden

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.