Davis Polk Post-Interview Thread

cortana116

Jan 19, 2021
Hey everyone! Thought i'd create a post interview thread for Davis Polk for the coming days seeing as how a few of us have been waiting to hear back after our interviews (which have concluded). Would probably also be helpful for future people to see the format of the interview, which has changed in its virtual format, i'll share a bit of my interview experience first!

Firstly, I was told that DP conducted interviews on 3 days only (Friday, Monday and Tuesday.) I had my interview on Monday with training principal Will Pearce, as well as a finance partner by the name of Nicholas and finally Vivek, an associate. The interview was disarmingly conversational, with no technical questions at all. They're really interested as to why their firm, so be prepared to compare and contrast at a specific level (individual firms). For instance, I was asked about the firms I had applied to, and why. Having come up with common themes in my response which Will seemed to be satisfied with, I was then quizzed about the perceived differences between the firms within this list and Davis Polk, where I think it got a bit tricky.

I also noted that traditionally the firm operates a case study, but has decided not to do that now due to the virtual format.

Hope this helps and best of luck to the rest of you! Hope to hear about your interview experiences as well.

SecretSantaxx

Star Member
Dec 9, 2020
Hello! I had a similar experience. I interviewed on Tuesday with training principal Will Pearce, Corporate partner Dan and associate Sophie. Like Cortana I was asked to compare and contrast the firms I applied to and the reasons for applying to each firm.

The interview with Will was very chill. Feels like he genuinely just wants to get to know you. The interview with Dan was slightly more challenging. It was indeed thought provoking. There were some questions surrounding commercial awareness themes. I was asked about my opinion on what the lawyers should have done regarding a recent IPO that had gone sideways and why that happened. I wasn't asked about my motivations for applying to Davis Polk until the final associate interview.

As an international student I was quizzed on my motivations for wanting to train in the UK.

s.k.o

Star Member
Jan 14, 2019
Hi guys,

Please do you know if Davis Polk accepts applications from law graduates? I can see on their website they only consider law students and law postgraduates students.

thelovelygiraffe

Sep 19, 2021
I got a VS offer and I promised myself that if I got it, I would post my interview experience here because of how insightful this thread was for me and I would like to return the favour to future applicants! 🥰

My interview was EXACTLY like @cortana116 described theirs.

This year, DP conducted interviews on 4 days (Friday, Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday). I had my interview last Monday with Will, then a finance partner, and finally an associate. Everyone was very nice and just genuinely wanted to know me - nothing technical nor commercial (although do note that I've seen someone on the forum say that their interview was 100% commercial with no personal questions and I'm not sure why there is such a huge difference in interview styles so just be prepared for either case).

Just like @cortana116, I was asked what other firms I had applied to and why but I was not further questioned on the differences between these firms and Davis Polk.

If you are an international student, make sure you prepare an answer as to why you want to work in London/UK.

The conversation with the associate was very chill, a bit like catching up with a friend about what you're doing in life right now.

There was no case study due to the virtual format I believe.

I hope this is helpful and if any other applicant would like to share their experience that would be lovely as well! Best of luck to everyone in this cycle and in the upcoming cycles!

Reactions: Jessica Booker

kokothemagicdragon

Legendary Member
Junior Lawyer
  • Dec 23, 2021
    Hi guys!

So I had my interview today, it was 20 minutes x 3. I had two with the partners Dan and Nick and then an associate called Gilbert.

The conversations were largely conversational: just the classic why law, why davis polk, how do you find your studies, does law come easily to you, what do you do in your free time... Other than that nothing commercial and it went by really quickly. They genuinely want to get to know you and I think that they just want to see if you'd be a good fit for their firm.

Also if you international they will ask why the UK lol.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.