Defeated before I have even started?

Darren Bruce-Tagoe

Aug 25, 2023
Hi all, new member to TCLA, about to be a first year llb student with a strong interest in becoming a solicitor in the not so distant future.

Feeling a little bit defeated despite not starting my law journey due to not achieving the best of results academically. My GCSE's were all in the range of 6s-5's and BBC at A-level, of course I was aware of the competitive nature before deciding law was for me however it's impossible for me to say that I feel out of place without even studying a module or applying for a vac scheme or training contract, especially with no mitigating circumstance to rely upon.

Of course I won't jsut give up however is it even realistic to have any real high ambitions atm as I will be attending a non-russell group (University of Salford) although I am really happy to have gotten into my firm university is there any real chance I will be able to work for a high end law firm (city level) after my undergrad if I turn my academia around and possibly achieve a 1st class, I hope there is, and honestly believe there could be, any thoughts or advice would be appreciated. Many thanks.

AlexJ

Valued Member
Junior Lawyer
  • Sep 23, 2022
    I wouldn't call a small provincial gambling firm that lucked out into media, but with no expansion or prospects, a top firm by any measure.

There are plenty of actual national firms that do proper full-service work and either have low or no GCSE or A-Level requirements. Do well in your LLB then you have a chance.

Join clubs, events, special groups if you qualify on personal characteristics, and bother HR on open days so they remember you as well. You might even make it onto an international corporate firm.

I've seen all these stories in the past. It's not impossible.
    I’m not sure there was any need for this- it is a genuine personal story.

Reactions: Jessica Booker

Darren Bruce-Tagoe

Aug 25, 2023
    I wouldn't call a small provincial gambling firm that lucked out into media, but with no expansion or prospects, a top firm by any measure.

There are plenty of actual national firms that do proper full-service work and either have low or no GCSE or A-Level requirements. Do well in your LLB then you have a chance.

Join clubs, events, special groups if you qualify on personal characteristics, and bother HR on open days so they remember you as well. You might even make it onto an international corporate firm.

I've seen all these stories in the past. It's not impossible.
    Thanks for the advice!!

DarrenB

Standard Member
    Oct 22, 2023
    Hey!

I think that it is realistic to get a TC with a law firm since there are law firms that do not have grade requirements so maybe it is worth going for those. However, you are also at the beginning of your LLB, and getting a 1st for example would help you. There are some law firms that look at your application holistically meaning that they consider how your academic journey developed and how you grew in this period.

What will be very important is that you show a keen interest in commercial law and the law firms you are applying to. When you write your law firm applications make sure these two elements stand out and you clearly and concisely show why this is the case. You will also need to develop your soft skills in order to persuade the firm that you have the skills that they are looking for in a trainee - for this I would recommend joining a law society and later in your academic career try to go for a position of responsibility within that society (President, treasurer, etc) and also do pro bono work experience.

Last edited by a moderator:

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.