Demonstrating an interest in commercial law

Eamon

Star Member
Jul 2, 2019
For the law two years, I have been applying to vacation schemes and training contracts, but have failed to get anything.

I feel like the one thing holding me back is that I am unable to point to anything of substance that demonstrates my interest in commercial law. During university (which i have just finished) I took part in Law Society competitions, managed to get a place at the Law Clinic (not that this even applies directly to commercial law), attended open days etc. Likewise, I have had numerous part-time jobs, played sport at a national level, and am able to talk about the transferable skills obtained from these on my applications.

However, it's clear I don't have any experience of working in a commercial law firm, or even experience in a corporate firm in general. I do not have any family/friend connections to even get me informal work experience.

Does anyone have any advice as to how I can seek to demonstrate my interest in commercial law? I believe I am able to demonstrate transferable skills from the things discussed above, but this does not appear to be enough. I also feel as if I am not the only person with this issue!

At this stage I am desperate, am questioning whether I even have a shot at being a commercial lawyer. Thank you in advance for any ideas/advice.

Reactions: Deleted member 970

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
Staff member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Premium Member
M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    For the law two years, I have been applying to vacation schemes and training contracts, but have failed to get anything.

I feel like the one thing holding me back is that I am unable to point to anything of substance that demonstrates my interest in commercial law. During university (which i have just finished) I took part in Law Society competitions, managed to get a place at the Law Clinic (not that this even applies directly to commercial law), attended open days etc. Likewise, I have had numerous part-time jobs, played sport at a national level, and am able to talk about the transferable skills obtained from these on my applications.

However, it's clear I don't have any experience of working in a commercial law firm, or even experience in a corporate firm in general. I do not have any family/friend connections to even get me informal work experience.

Does anyone have any advice as to how I can seek to demonstrate my interest in commercial law? I believe I am able to demonstrate transferable skills from the things discussed above, but this does not appear to be enough. I also feel as if I am not the only person with this issue!

At this stage I am desperate, am questioning whether I even have a shot at being a commercial lawyer. Thank you in advance for any ideas/advice.

Hi Eamon, have you been to any firm events or open days?

Edit: I've just seen you said you have. It sounds like you have a good range of experiences and you've got more law-related experience than some people I've spoken to. Work experience does help but a lack of it shouldn't be detrimental to vacation scheme applications; how are you discussing your motivation for commercial law in your applications so far? And have you had interviews?

Eamon

Star Member
    Jul 2, 2019
    I went to a decent amount of firm presentations during my time at university, and have attended open days at Slaughter & May, Weil, Baker McKenzie, Mayer Brown and HSF (though I do intend to apply to more while doing my LPC)

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.