goatenthusiast12

Dec 7, 2022
First year LLB student here.
I feel like I'm aiming too high given my circumstances. I did not score well in my A-levels (BCC final grade and A*A*C in AS) and my GCSEs weren't anything amazing either (4Cs, 3Bs, 1A* and a distinction in spoken English). I obviously don't come from a RG university but I don't think the university I attend is that big of an issue at the moment. My main barrier to possibly getting selected for a vacation scheme, let alone a TC, are most likely my grades.

I was considering re-sitting for 2 of my A-level subjects but was advised against it, and even if it was recommended I soon realised that I wouldn't have the time for it due to other things in my personal life. I am strictly going to apply to those firms that don't have a minimum A-level requirement, but even then I feel like they'd have some sort of a bias towards those candidates that have gotten less than an A.
I looked through various trainee solicitors profile's on LinkedIn and most of them have gotten either straight A*s or As, and the rest scored something like AAB or A*AB. I did not see a single trainee from a 'no minimum A-level requirement' firm that had scored lower than that, and I find it very weird because its no different than those firms that do have a minimum requirement.

I feel like I stand no chance when other candidates have such strong grades AND come from notable universities on top of that. I'm trying my best to graduate with a first class degree and I know I have to work harder and earlier than most other candidates due to my grades. I have my winter break right now and managed to intern at high court (albeit not UK's high court) for a month and right after that I'm hoping to intern at a finance company. I need to try and get tons of work experience to make up for my horrid A-level grades and cross my fingers hoping they'd look past it. I'm also purchasing books and using resources to try and improve my legal writing skills, specially since English is not my native language. I'm trying my level best when it comes to work experience, extra-curricular activities and anything else that would be of my benefit, but I really cannot shrug off the feeling that none of this would ever be enough because of my A-level grades.

Of course, I'm not only aiming for MC and SC firms, I'm also looking into much smaller firms where I'm more likely to secure a TC. But as an international student I feel like big international law firms are best suited for me and therefore thats where my main priority lies. I don't know what the purpose of this post really is... maybe I want some motivation, maybe I'd like some suggestions as to how I can stand out more, anything really. I just feel low knowing that there's still a good chance of not even being considered for a vacation scheme all because of my A-level (and perhaps GCSEs) grades. I'm not scared of rejection as much as I'm scared of giving it my all only for it to be of no use in the end.

Lisa Lowe

Legendary Member
Junior Lawyer
Nov 26, 2019
I can only answer the above with my personal experiences.

But I think it’s important not to spread yourself too thin, spend time dwelling on the negatives or comparing yourself to others.

If you’re in your first year - you have plenty of time to get a solid grade in your degree if that’s what you want.

Regarding your university, I bet there are loads of solicitors that studied at your uni. There are plenty of TC places and they are not all filled with the top 5 unis.

The fact that you speak another language is an advantage and something you should be proud of, instead of worrying about English not being your first language. Also, I didn’t guage from your post that English wasn’t your first language. So I wouldn’t worry about getting through those books you bought!

While some firms do operate with strict a’level requirements, as you’ve mentioned, a lot don’t. It sounds like you’ve already done your research. I would concentrate of these firms and try and get involved with them as much as you can I.e open days, Legal Cheeck events, law fairs, vacation schemes. You can’t apply to all the firms anyway so looking at those without a’level requirements may just be a good way to narrow down the firms you apply to. Quality over quantity.

linkedin is a great tool for helping you build your network and researching firms but people only but their achievements on there. So if people have amazing grades they’ll naturally put them up. I know loads of people with average a’level grades who went on to get a TC but don’t necessarily put their grades on their LinkedIn profile. Try not to spend too much time comparing yourself to others.

Last edited:

Law Student

Distinguished Member
Dec 20, 2022
I agree with the above post. Also remember, firms are more likely to value work experience/extra curricular over grades so focus on that. Don’t worry because you have a year until you need to apply to vacation schemes and training contracts so you can definitely gain lots of experience within that year.

A person with strong work experience/extra curricular and lower grades will be picked over someone with little experience and strong grades!

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.