Direct TC application and mit circumstances?

Dheepa

Legendary Member
Staff member
Future Trainee
TCLA Moderator
Premium Member
Forum Team
M&A Bootcamp
Junior Lawyer 43
  • Jan 20, 2019
    Heya, first off I think your experience with the bank and with HMRC definitely makes you a strong applicant for direct TCs. That being said, you should definitely be including the mitigating circumstances. If anything not including them will likely take you out of the game entirely for quite a few firms (especially the ones that place a lot of weight on grades). You've had to go through far more than the average applicant and you would be disadvantaging yourself if you didn't let firms know of it.

Reactions: Holly

Dheepa

Legendary Member
    Staff member
    Future Trainee
    TCLA Moderator
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    M&A Bootcamp
    Junior Lawyer 43
  • Jan 20, 2019
    Hi, thanks for the reply - I really appreciate it.

Do you have any view on how much detail I should go into about these things? I find it really difficult to talk about but I probably need to be able to demonstrate the severity.

Thanks again!

@Jessica Booker will be able to help

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    To me you will have to declare some of the mitgiating circumstances as otherwise firms will just assume the worst.

Even if your assult was not reported to the police, were your university aware (assuming they were if you deferred)? Are the university also aware of the circumstances with your father?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    The university are not aware of the assault, but they are aware of my bad mental health that year. My psychologist is of course aware, however.

They do know about my bereavement regarding my father.
    My advice is to try and get an academic reference from your university ahead of applications to support the notion that without these series of circumstances they think you would have performed better. Have you spoken to your university to see if your person tutor or someone similar could provide such a reference?

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.