Direct TC Application - how much legal experience required?

BuddingLawyer

Distinguished Member
Jul 10, 2023
Hi
As a penultimate year law student, I am looking to divide my applications between VS and direct TCs. For TC applications, what is the minimum bar for legal experience that firms expect ? I did 2 continuous weeks of full time internship in small law firm (in Yorkshire) during summer. Apart from that I volunteer as a social media assistant for a small law firm as well as a couple 2 week law internships during high school. That's about it. Will my direct TC application be binned ?

Thanks.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi
As a penultimate year law student, I am looking to divide my applications between VS and direct TCs. For TC applications, what is the minimum bar for legal experience that firms expect ? I did 2 continuous weeks of full time internship in small law firm (in Yorkshire) during summer. Apart from that I volunteer as a social media assistant for a small law firm as well as a couple 2 week law internships during high school. That's about it. Will my direct TC application be binned ?

Thanks.
Unfortunately there is no answer to this. Many firms may expect over 4 weeks legal work experience but others will expect 0.
Some firms value non legal work experience as much as they value legal work experience too. If you are ever unsure, I would ask the firm you are wanting to apply to.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.