DLA Piper commercial awareness question

F AJMI

Gold Member
Premium Member
Nov 11, 2022
Hi

The DLA piper summer internship commercial awareness question asks you to write about a business story you found interesting in the last 12 months. In the answer should I try to relate the business story to the firm itself as well as attempt to talk about its implications on the British legal sector, or would it be better to focus purely on the story itself and use that to show commercial awareness.

You only have about 250 words for the question and i'm not sure if the question is simply testing your commercial awareness, or if they want you to link the answer to the firm itself.

AvniD

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Gold Member
Premium Member
Oct 25, 2021
Hi

The DLA piper summer internship commercial awareness question asks you to write about a business story you found interesting in the last 12 months. In the answer should I try to relate the business story to the firm itself as well as attempt to talk about its implications on the British legal sector, or would it be better to focus purely on the story itself and use that to show commercial awareness.

You only have about 250 words for the question and i'm not sure if the question is simply testing your commercial awareness, or if they want you to link the answer to the firm itself.
You can pick any news story that interests you as long as it's
1) within the last 12 months
2) you identify the core business/legal issues in the story and
3) analyse the story's impact on the client/industry/law firms more generally

No need at all to relate it to the firm of the British legal sector specifically- the goal here is to show the firm that you are able to apply your legal knowledge to business news and contextualise it appropriately.

F AJMI

Gold Member
Premium Member
Nov 11, 2022
You can pick any news story that interests you as long as it's
1) within the last 12 months
2) you identify the core business/legal issues in the story and
3) analyse the story's impact on the client/industry/law firms more generally

No need at all to relate it to the firm of the British legal sector specifically- the goal here is to show the firm that you are able to apply your legal knowledge to business news and contextualise it appropriately.

Thanks for the help, I wasn't sure whether the story had to be relevant to the British legal sector.
I am currently writing about the Chinese housing crises, more specifically looking into its effect both on the global economy as well as the legal sector. Would this be a good story to write about?

AvniD

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Gold Member
Premium Member
Oct 25, 2021
Thanks for the help, I wasn't sure whether the story had to be relevant to the British legal sector.
I am currently writing about the Chinese housing crises, more specifically looking into its effect both on the global economy as well as the legal sector. Would this be a good story to write about?
This could work well! I'd focus on the legal and commercial issues/opportunities arising from this and if possible, try to draw the impact this could have on the global economy and law firms operating offices in China, specifically their business strategy and how they advise clients.

F AJMI

Gold Member
Premium Member
Nov 11, 2022
This could work well! I'd focus on the legal and commercial issues/opportunities arising from this and if possible, try to draw the impact this could have on the global economy and law firms operating offices in China, specifically their business strategy and how they advise clients.
Thanks

Reactions: AvniD

goatenthusiast12

Dec 7, 2022
Hi @AvniD ! I just got done with my first semester of law school so I haven't received any grades yet but in the application form they're asking for my predicted grades/grades obtained and I have neither. What do you suggest I do in this case?

AvniD

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Gold Member
Premium Member
Oct 25, 2021
Hi @AvniD ! I just got done with my first semester of law school so I haven't received any grades yet but in the application form they're asking for my predicted grades/grades obtained and I have neither. What do you suggest I do in this case?
Hi @goatenthusiast12, I'd email the firm to clarify what they mean by predicted grades- is this something you can input based on your own assessment or do you need something more formal from your university/professors?

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.