Do I have a chance applying to Davis Polk coming from a Non RG background?

shazida26

Standard Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Jun 4, 2021
Hi All,

Hope 2023 is going well for everyone!

I am considering applying to Davis Polk as the process seems very straightforward (CV, Cover letter and breakdown of grades), however I'm slightly hesitant as I didn't graduate Law from a RG University/Oxbridge, I'm hoping my work background makes up for it.

What's the general consensus on Davis Polk's hiring background? is it majority Oxbridge/RG?

many thanks in advance!

AvniD

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Gold Member
Premium Member
Oct 25, 2021
Hi All,

Hope 2023 is going well for everyone!

I am considering applying to Davis Polk as the process seems very straightforward (CV, Cover letter and breakdown of grades), however I'm slightly hesitant as I didn't graduate Law from a RG University/Oxbridge, I'm hoping my work background makes up for it.

What's the general consensus on Davis Polk's hiring background? is it majority Oxbridge/RG?

many thanks in advance!
I can understand your hesitation although I haven't found anything online that shows the percentage of Oxbridge grads that make up their trainee intake. Even if it may be a high percentage, I doubt that your uni alone will be a deciding factor in rejecting/accepting your application.

You're right in thinking that your work experience could be a big factor in your favour here. What were your uni grades like? And are you getting your applications reviewed before sending them off?

shazida26

Standard Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Jun 4, 2021
I can understand your hesitation although I haven't found anything online that shows the percentage of Oxbridge grads that make up their trainee intake. Even if it may be a high percentage, I doubt that your uni alone will be a deciding factor in rejecting/accepting your application.

You're right in thinking that your work experience could be a big factor in your favour here. What were your uni grades like? And are you getting your applications reviewed before sending them off?
Hi Avni,

thank you so much for getting back to me- its greatly appreciated!

I graduated back in 2019 with a 2:1 and have been using the helpful review service here on TCLA! I'll be submitting another application to be reviewed and hopefully I'll be able to update the Forum with some good news soon!

hope 2023 has been off to a good start for you!

many thanks again

AvniD

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Gold Member
Premium Member
Oct 25, 2021
Hi Avni,

thank you so much for getting back to me- its greatly appreciated!

I graduated back in 2019 with a 2:1 and have been using the helpful review service here on TCLA! I'll be submitting another application to be reviewed and hopefully I'll be able to update the Forum with some good news soon!

hope 2023 has been off to a good start for you!

many thanks again
I think with your 2:1 combined with writing high quality application answers, focusing on your commercial awareness and conveying your transferable skills from previous work experience can make for a fairly convincing application. I wouldn't worry about the implications of your non-law, non-RG background - you have plenty other things going for you that matter more 😊

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.