Do law firms reimburse travel costs if you return the next day?

lawless

Standard Member
  • Nov 14, 2020
    I'm due to attend an insight day at Freshfields which will end at 7 pm. I was wondering if they would still cover my return ticket if I leave around noon next day due to the safety risk from traveling at night and also to recover some energy for return journey after a hectic long day (arrival journey + insight day activities)? It takes about 3 hours one-way. Six hours of commute in one day on top of six hours at the firm seems a lot to me.

Does anyone have experience with law firms reimbursing travel costs and can tell whether they would reimburse the returns in this case? I don't want to tire myself unnecessarily so that I can go to uni as soon as I come back.

Reactions: George Maxwell

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    I'm due to attend an insight day at Freshfields which will end at 7 pm. I was wondering if they would still cover my return ticket if I leave around noon next day due to the safety risk from traveling at night and also to recover some energy for return journey after a hectic long day (arrival journey + insight day activities)? It takes about 3 hours one-way. Six hours of commute in one day on top of six hours at the firm seems a lot to me.

Does anyone have experience with law firms reimbursing travel costs and can tell whether they would reimburse the returns in this case? I don't want to tire myself unnecessarily so that I can go to uni as soon as I come back.
    Yes, they will refund this if it is within the limit/amount set that they said they will reimburse. You may find they even will cover any costs of your overnight stay in London if that's within their set budget too (they used to anyway in instances where they knew it would be difficult for someone to return that same evening/or arrive on time in the morning!)

OB

Legendary Member
    2020 Community Winner
    Junior Lawyer
  • Feb 10, 2020

I've had an overnight stay paid by Freshfields for an insight day as I was travelling from Belfast so made a business case for it and showed I found a reasonably priced place etc. Think as long as you set it out as reasonably as possible they should be fine. Sometimes I've paid the difference from standard to first class if it was only a few pounds but only claimed the standard class price from the firm too as it makes a difference on a long train journey :)

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.