Do Magic Circle/US Law Firms Look Favourably on Paralegals

r2d2_2801

Jul 14, 2023
Hi, I am a law student looking to apply for vacation scheme opportunities. I still have one year of university to go. I have heard previously that being a paralegal is an excellent option to secure a Training Contract, and that firms look more favourably on paralegals than other career paths post law school in case the vacation scheme/training contract route directly doesn't work out. Is there any truth to this? Do I have a significant (or any advantage/disadvantage at all) boost if I aim to apply for paralegal positions? I am hoping to perhaps secure something with a magic circle/silver circle or top US law firm in the future as a trainee, but am a little worried about what to do in case that doesn't happen. Also, would being a paralegal at a good law firm be more impressive to top firms than doing a TC with a smaller regional firm? Thanks

Jake Rickman

Distinguished Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer 42
  • Nov 6, 2020
    Some of the best practitioners I know at some of the best firms in the world started as paralegals. It's absolutely a great way to gain some relevant experience. I was paralegalling when I was offered a TC.
    Also, would being a paralegal at a good law firm be more impressive to top firms than doing a TC with a smaller regional firm?
    This is hard to answer. To the extent that someone gets a job offer as a paralegal at a top firm, it seems likely that they have the hard and soft skills to convert that to a TC at a similarly placed firm. So in this sense, if biglaw is what you're after and you banked a paralegal position at a biglaw firm, I would opt for that rather than a TC at a smaller regional firm because it would be harder/take longer to lateral your way up once you qualify.

r2d2_2801

Jul 14, 2023
    Some of the best practitioners I know at some of the best firms in the world started as paralegals. It's absolutely a great way to gain some relevant experience. I was paralegalling when I was offered a TC.

This is hard to answer. To the extent that someone gets a job offer as a paralegal at a top firm, it seems likely that they have the hard and soft skills to convert that to a TC at a similarly placed firm. So in this sense, if biglaw is what you're after and you banked a paralegal position at a biglaw firm, I would opt for that rather than a TC at a smaller regional firm because it would be harder/take longer to lateral your way up once you qualify.
    Thank you so much! I was also wondering if paralegal positions in cities like Manchester and Leeds (non London) would be good options, if the firm is good (like Clyde and Co, Simmons and Simmons)? Do they hold equal prestige while applying to top City law firms? Thanks so much for answering my question once again!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    One of the major disadvantages is if you paralegal you may find it very difficult to be recruited by other firms due to conflicts checks that many firms can’t be bothered to go through. Plus you’d have to declare your vacation scheme to your paralegal employer, which can be very tricky - not all firms will give you time off to attend a competitors vacation scheme.

It’s a great way to show your commitment to law and develop your skill set/knowledge though - you just may find you have more luck applying to direct TC opportunities rather than vacation schemes. That said, I know people who have been able to do paralegal work and vacation schemes, but I know many more than haven’t.

Last edited:
    Reactions: laurabeaumont

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.