Elective Choice- LPC

Olivia99

Star Member
Dec 10, 2019
Hey Guys!
Was just wondering whether anyone could help. I was just wondering what electives city law firms encourage students to take within the LPC? I know it's all about picking the ones you enjoy but I was just wondering what was recommended.
Any help is appreciated :)

JayB

Legendary Member
May 16, 2019
Hey Guys!
Was just wondering whether anyone could help. I was just wondering what electives city law firms encourage students to take within the LPC? I know it's all about picking the ones you enjoy but I was just wondering what was recommended.
Any help is appreciated :)

Law firms have their own set elective modules. It depends on what sort of firms you have in mind, ones with a strong litigation focus or one with a strong corporate/finance focus. If you are going for the finance focus, my friend recently completed the LPC and he did the following;
- private acquisitions
- equity finance
- debt finance

Aspiring.lawyer.to.be

Legendary Member
  • Nov 26, 2019
    Hi,

I was thinking of doing these three modules for my electives actually. Can I ask you how you found them? The workload, the teaching and whether these are popular in terms of being what firms want? Because many trainees told me that they have done these three.

I’ll be honest with you. These modules were difficult. BUT I chose these modules because I enjoy corporate and commercial work. The workload is very similar to the core modules. I was taught at Ulaw and I can say the teachers were really good in explaining everything. You have to make you keep up with the reading and consolidating all your notes. I think these modules are popular with magic circle law firms and international firms - firms which practice in areas of corporate and commercial. I did find it hard but I took it as a challenge. Make sure you ask questions if you don’t understand anything. Banking - there was a LOT of banking jargon that you need to be familiar with. M&A - it was more about understanding negotiation positions of each parties in an M&A deal. Also, it was heavily contract law based. Public companies - to be honest, I personally found that it was very DRY. I chose this elective because I enjoyed the business law core module. Although I liked the main overview of the teaching. I found it very hard to motivate myself due to the large amount of rules you need to know for the exam. My main tip would be again to make sure you consolidate. Public companies are heavily regulated for a large number of reasons and thus, it is essential to have this many rules. (But not necessarily fun to study it).

The above is my personal views and purely honest. I hope this helps.

chi.c

Feb 11, 2021
    I am currently taking the LPC and have not secured a TC yet. Do you think it would put me at a disadvantage if I picked electives that are not exactly the same as that required by certain firms? Would that impede me from securing a TC just because I didn't study specific modules that certain firms would require?

Jane Smith

Legendary Member
    Sep 2, 2020
    I am not really sure but make sure they are roughly in the right area eg high street law rr business law. One of my daughters did Corporate Finance, Private Acquisitions and IP/commercial. My other older daughter who was sponsored did the 3 more City law ones LegalA lists above as required by her firm). I my sons (on the LPC now) have not decided yet. I think something like (i) private acquisitions, (ii) commercial/IP (those two might be fairly useful and broadly applicable whether you go into private practice in a commercial firm or in-house ultimately) and possibly even (iii) employment law as anyone who works in a medium sized or indeed any size of firm and certainly in house benefits from a bit of knowledge about employment law. That might just display my own bias however in my own commercial law practice.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    @Jessica Booker Hi, do you think it matters what electives you did on the LPC for your training contract? I haven’t chosen M&A but it’s a seat I want to do, do you think it’ll hinder my chances please? Thanks
    If it’s a seat you know you want to do, I’d suggest taking it as a module. Not really to help your chances of getting that seat, but more so to help you be able to hit the ground running a little more once you are working in that department.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.