bob

Nov 10, 2018
as an eu citizen i have always ticked the box specifying that i will not require a visa; however, in light of brexit, i would assume firms are starting to reevaluate the number of eu applicants they take in, especially if they find themselves in a position to sponsor visas for all of them

fortunately, i managed to obtain a british passport a few months back. however not all firms allow you to specify your nationality or elaborate on your right to reside--this is especially annoying when they ask for a cover letter (where you talk about living in another country) and you end it with a very European sounding name

would it be advisable to put a line at the end of my cover letter saying: ' i have recently obtained British citizenship and will not require a visa at any point in my career'

Last edited:

Marian

Jun 26, 2019
Hello, Bob.

I am in exactly the same position. We are not EU citizens, we are dual nationals (I have been a British citizen for the last three years now). I am not aware which application form in particular you were talking about above, however, almost every law firm that I have applied to has a section where you have to fill in your 'nationality'. Accordingly, your 'nationality', for the sake of this application, is British. If you find it necessary to specify that you are a 'dual national', please feel free to do so. Please have in mind that there are many people, born and bred in the UK, that are in possession of an 'European' name. I, personally, do not clarify any further. Once invited to an interview and, if the interviewer is particularly interested in my current citizenship status, I will clarify. Until then, for all intents and purposes, I am British.

I hope the above has helped.

Good luck with your applications!

Reactions: Jaysen

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
If you have a British passport, you have the right to work in the UK so you can continue to tick the right to work box. You could clarify the British passport thing in any “is there any further information you want to provide” section on an application form, or add it as a brief bullet point on your CV if you are concerned

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.