Eversheds application

Mark

Jan 4, 2020
The deadline is tomorrow and for some reason I decided it would be wise to start my application today. In spite of this, I am struggling with the two questions in the application form:

When have you worked towards an ambitious goal?
When have you delivered a piece of work where quality was an important factor?

The only thing I can think about is possible school experiences, but even then those are a stretch. The word limit for both questions is 500 words and I don't see how I can write a substantial answer for either.

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
Staff member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Premium Member
M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    The deadline is tomorrow and for some reason I decided it would be wise to start my application today. In spite of this, I am struggling with the two questions in the application form:

When have you worked towards an ambitious goal?
    When have you delivered a piece of work where quality was an important factor?

The only thing I can think about is possible school experiences, but even then those are a stretch. The word limit for both questions is 500 words and I don't see how I can write a substantial answer for either.

The examples you pick don’t need to be that ‘impressive’. I’d be surprised if you looked at all your experiences/interests and you couldn’t find something that was an ambitious goal/where quality was important.

The way you write a good answer here is by making sure you’re absolutely focused on the question. For example, tease out exactly why quality was important and break down exactly what you did to make sure you achieved this.

Reaching 500 words might just involve breaking down each step in more detail than you normally would. If I recall, Eversheds also wants you to discuss what energised you - so that can take up a fair amount of space.

Reactions: Mariya and Mark

Mark

Jan 4, 2020
    The examples you pick don’t need to be that ‘impressive’. I’d be surprised if you looked at all your experiences/interests and you couldn’t find something that was an ambitious goal/where quality was important.

The way you write a good answer here is by making sure you’re absolutely focused on the question. For example, tease out exactly why quality was important and break down exactly what you did to make sure you achieved this.

Reaching 500 words might just involve breaking down each step in more detail than you normally would. If I recall, Eversheds also wants you to discuss what energised you - so that can take up a fair amount of space.

Do you think talking about grades achieved would be relevant in answering the question or is that too basic?

ComplianceChange

Legendary Member
    May 16, 2019
    Do you think talking about grades achieved would be relevant in answering the question or is that too basic?

You could choose something completely unrelated to academia. For example, setting up a society at university and you faced challenges, raising significant funds for a charitable cause...

and for the quality question, have you ever had a part-time job where you've had to put together some work in which a client depended on you heavily [or even organising an event for someone or something]

Try and think outside of the box :)

Reactions: Mark

Tushar

Distinguished Member
    Mar 18, 2020
    Hello everyone! I am a final year law undergraduate student at a national law university in India. Although I have adequately researched about this, but there's some lack of clarity, so I am asking whether I am eligible to apply for the Training Contract, 2022 at Evershed Sutherlands, the deadline of which is 28th June, 2020?
    Thanks, in advance :)

Asmee DC

Valued Member
    Future Trainee
    Jan 17, 2019
    Hello everyone! I am a final year law undergraduate student at a national law university in India. Although I have adequately researched about this, but there's some lack of clarity, so I am asking whether I am eligible to apply for the Training Contract, 2022 at Evershed Sutherlands, the deadline of which is 28th June, 2020?

I don't see why you wouldn't be eligible for it as Eversheds sponsors visas. I would maybe email Graduate Recruitment to confirm so you don't waste your time!

Reactions: Tushar

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019

you’d be eligible - you’d need to start the GDL this September.

Reactions: Tushar

Sayaono

Standard Member
    Mar 21, 2021
    Hi all,

I am applying to Eversheds Sutherland this year, and those questions mentioned below have come up again. My first query is regarding these questions:

When have you delivered a piece of work where quality was an important factor? As part of your answer, please describe why quality was important to you, what approaches you took to help you deliver and what you enjoyed? (500 words)

I am able to answer this question. However, I am confused whether I should incorporate my motivation to join the firm since the question doesn't ask for it.. There are questions like this:

When have you worked towards an ambitious goal? As part of your answer, please describe how you tackled this goal, what set-backs you faced and what energised you about the situation. (500 words)

However, even still its not very apparent how I should mention my motivation to join the firm... unless I specifically talk about my ambitious goal is to become an international commercial lawyer (which it is.. but its not a fulfilled goal yet..). question asks if you about when you 'worked', not 'currently working' towards an ambitious goal. Or am I being to trivial about this..?

Or shall I find a way to mention my motivations to join the firm in my work experience section...?

Kindly advise :)

Sayaono

Standard Member
    Mar 21, 2021
    My second query is regarding this question:

Please detail all your positions of responsibility including, title, date and a brief description. Please separate each position with a bullet point. (500 words)

The question asks for 'all' positions. However, if I tried to do that, I will not be able to give too much description about them as I have too many (not trying to brag..). If some positions have similar responsibilities shall I just use the recent one, just so I can add more in the description. Or should I add all positions because that is supposed to evidence that I can handle a lot of responsibility?

Should the brief descriptions just mention responsibilities or also skills learned since its brief..?

I am confused about this only because many firms do not prefer bullet points in the answers and this is the first time I have come across a question framed like this..

Kindly advise.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hi all,

I am applying to Eversheds Sutherland this year, and those questions mentioned below have come up again. My first query is regarding these questions:

When have you delivered a piece of work where quality was an important factor? As part of your answer, please describe why quality was important to you, what approaches you took to help you deliver and what you enjoyed? (500 words)

I am able to answer this question. However, I am confused whether I should incorporate my motivation to join the firm since the question doesn't ask for it.. There are questions like this:

When have you worked towards an ambitious goal? As part of your answer, please describe how you tackled this goal, what set-backs you faced and what energised you about the situation. (500 words)

However, even still its not very apparent how I should mention my motivation to join the firm... unless I specifically talk about my ambitious goal is to become an international commercial lawyer (which it is.. but its not a fulfilled goal yet..). question asks if you about when you 'worked', not 'currently working' towards an ambitious goal. Or am I being to trivial about this..?

Or shall I find a way to mention my motivations to join the firm in my work experience section...?

Kindly advise :)
    Absolutely no need to include your motivation for the firm into these questions. Just focus on answering the question.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    My second query is regarding this question:

Please detail all your positions of responsibility including, title, date and a brief description. Please separate each position with a bullet point. (500 words)

The question asks for 'all' positions. However, if I tried to do that, I will not be able to give too much description about them as I have too many (not trying to brag..). If some positions have similar responsibilities shall I just use the recent one, just so I can add more in the description. Or should I add all positions because that is supposed to evidence that I can handle a lot of responsibility?

Should the brief descriptions just mention responsibilities or also skills learned since its brief..?

I am confused about this only because many firms do not prefer bullet points in the answers and this is the first time I have come across a question framed like this..

Kindly advise.
    I’d ensure there was variety and that you cover responsibilities that show you have kept yourself busy over time. That may not mean “all” experiences but probably means most if not all.

They only want the bullet points to separate out the activities so it is easier to digest.

You can do a hybrid and maybe go into more detail in the more substantial experiences, but provide much shorter description for those that are superseded by more recent or more impressive examples.

500 words is actually quite a lot for a extra curricular section question compared to many other firms where it is often closer to 300.

Sayaono

Standard Member
    Mar 21, 2021
    I’d ensure there was variety and that you cover responsibilities that show you have kept yourself busy over time. That may not mean “all” experiences but probably means most if not all.

They only want the bullet points to separate out the activities so it is easier to digest.

You can do a hybrid and maybe go into more detail in the more substantial experiences, but provide much shorter description for those that are superseded by more recent or more impressive examples.

500 words is actually quite a lot for a extra curricular section question compared to many other firms where it is often closer to 300.
    That is helpful! Thank you so much!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Thank you! So is it safe to assume they don't want to know my motivations to join the firm at this stage of the application?
    They clearly don’t need it at this stage. It might be something they look for more at later stages of the recruitment process.

I think it is super risky to try and force this information in to questions that are directly related to the topic.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.