Eversheds Sutherland Application

Gunner07

Star Member
Junior Lawyer
Dec 12, 2018
Hi guys! I am currently drafting my application for Eversheds Sutherland and I came across this question. I am a little stuck on it's interpretation and approach. Would really appreciate some help!

You are working on a query for a new client, which has to be responded to tomorrow morning. You were told it was important as Eversheds Sutherland want to impress them. However, you have a lot of work on and the query is taking you longer than you expected. You are now behind on your work for today. You also have emails from other people chasing you for work you have not yet started.What would you do? As part of your answer, please also describe what personal strengths would you draw upon and what would you find energising in this situation?

Gunner07

Star Member
Junior Lawyer
Dec 12, 2018
Happy to help! What are you finding tricky at the moment?
Thanks for the reply Jaysen.

I am unsure if I am interpreting and approaching the question properly, so would really appreciate some guidance on that.
From my own interpretation I broke down the question so I was thinking of including :
1. the process by which will prioritise the tasks according to their deadlines and importance.
2. the value of impressing the new client and the importance of quality that I need to maintain
3. transferable skills that I have developed previously that I can employ

But i am not 100% sure if it is the correct interpretation.

Gunner07

Star Member
Junior Lawyer
Dec 12, 2018
' When have you delivered a piece of work where quality was an important factor? As part of your answer, please describe why quality was important to you, what approaches you took to help you deliver and what you enjoyed?' This is another question on the application form. I have thought of three situations where I have focused on quality but would appreciate some feedback on their suitability.
1. As a qualified makeup artist I have to focus on quality even when there are multiple bookings on the same day
2. I worked on the draft for a Renewable Energy research report at a law firm abroad
3. Delivering a presentation in my final year at university

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
Staff member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Premium Member
M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    Thanks for the reply Jaysen.

I am unsure if I am interpreting and approaching the question properly, so would really appreciate some guidance on that.
    From my own interpretation I broke down the question so I was thinking of including :
    1. the process by which will prioritise the tasks according to their deadlines and importance.
    2. the value of impressing the new client and the importance of quality that I need to maintain
    3. transferable skills that I have developed previously that I can employ

But i am not 100% sure if it is the correct interpretation.

Sounds great. There's not one right answer. You just need to demonstrate you understand what's important and clearly explain how you'd go about handling a difficult situation. It sounds like you've thought about that.

' When have you delivered a piece of work where quality was an important factor? As part of your answer, please describe why quality was important to you, what approaches you took to help you deliver and what you enjoyed?' This is another question on the application form. I have thought of three situations where I have focused on quality but would appreciate some feedback on their suitability.
    1. As a qualified makeup artist I have to focus on quality even when there are multiple bookings on the same day
    2. I worked on the draft for a Renewable Energy research report at a law firm abroad
    3. Delivering a presentation in my final year at university

All suitable. I'd be tempted to choose the first one. It's interesting when applicants talk about something they are passionate about outside of law/studying.

Gunner07

Star Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Dec 12, 2018
    Sounds great. There's not one right answer. You just need to demonstrate you understand what's important and clearly explain how you'd go about handling a difficult situation. It sounds like you've thought about that.

All suitable. I'd be tempted to choose the first one. It's interesting when applicants talk about something they are passionate about outside of law/studying.

Thanks for the help! Really appreciate it!

Tushar

Distinguished Member
    Mar 18, 2020
    @Jaysen On the question of delivering a quality piece of work, can I write about an international moot court competition, where I qualified for the world rounds on the basis of memorials and how delivering a quality memorial was really important for me to qualify for the moot?

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
    Staff member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    @Jaysen On the question of delivering a quality piece of work, can I write about an international moot court competition, where I qualified for the world rounds on the basis of memorials and how delivering a quality memorial was really important for me to qualify for the moot?

I can't say I know much about what goes into a memorial, but that should work! I would also consider if there were any other reasons why quality was important to you (beyond just being necessary in order to qualify).

Tushar

Distinguished Member
    Mar 18, 2020
    Yes, of course. It made me learn the art of drafting coherent arguments, supported by apt authorities and gave me adequate exposure of understanding foreign trademark law.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    @Jaysen One last question, since my qualification to the world rounds was dependant on this quality piece of memorial, can I write why going to the world rounds of the moot was important to me?

don’t fixate on what the actual example is, just ask yourself whether it is the example you have that best presents the question. If it is, it’s suitable to use.

Reactions: NadineBusty

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
    Staff member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    @Jaysen One last question, since my qualification to the world rounds was dependant on this quality piece of memorial, can I write why going to the world rounds of the moot was important to me?

As Jess said, if you feel it's your best example to the question, that's fine.

With the question, you just want to make sure you are directly answering each part of the question: why quality was important to you, the specific steps you took to ensure quality and what you enjoyed. I see many Eversheds applications where a candidate has only answered one or two of these parts.

Reactions: Jessica Booker

Wajahat Jilani

Star Member
    Jun 15, 2020
    On the quality question - would it be okay to write about a position of responsibility in which I ensured both an overall improvement in quality and specific examples of how I ensured that? I ask because the question says ‘delivered a piece of work’.

Thanks in advance.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    On the quality question - would it be okay to write about a position of responsibility in which I ensured both an overall improvement in quality and specific examples of how I ensured that? I ask because the question says ‘delivered a piece of work’.

Thanks in advance.

yes - sounds perfectly fine to me

LJHoff

Jun 13, 2022
    As Jess said, if you feel it's your best example to the question, that's fine.

With the question, you just want to make sure you are directly answering each part of the question: why quality was important to you, the specific steps you took to ensure quality and what you enjoyed. I see many Eversheds applications where a candidate has only answered one or two of these parts.

Hey guys

I’m swaying towards the delivering of quality work during pro bono activities in an array of intitiatives, as opposed to one piece of work.

I haven’t got a Vac Scheme to show off, but I won BPP’s and a few other pro bono scholarships, thus I feel it’s my best example outside of studies. I’d then focus on 2 examples: 1) a presentation I led at a top arts management organisation and 2) publication of an Informative Report and application drafting to protect a residential park from further development.

it’s a 500 word limit so I feel any example on its own won’t suffice. Would this more generalised interpretation of work and quality be ok?

I’ve also considered focusing on 1) a high value deal I negotiated in my previous career in real estate, 2) final year dissertation, 3) research activities during a 2 day mini pupillage. Any help, advice, guidance much appreciated
    Many thanks

Last edited:

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Hey guys

I’m swaying towards the delivering of quality work during pro bono activities in an array of intitiatives, as opposed to one piece of work.

I haven’t got a Vac Scheme to show off, but I won BPP’s and a few other pro bono scholarships, thus I feel it’s my best example outside of studies. I’d then focus on 2 examples: 1) a presentation I led at a top arts management organisation and 2) publication of an Informative Report and application drafting to protect a residential park from further development.

it’s a 500 word limit so I feel any example on its own won’t suffice. Would this more generalised interpretation of work and quality be ok?

I’ve also considered focusing on 1) a high value deal I negotiated in my previous career in real estate, 2) final year dissertation, 3) research activities during a 2 day mini pupillage. Any help, advice, guidance much appreciated
    Many thanks
    Are the presentation and report specific to the pro Bono activity? Could you not just focus on one of these, especially if it led/contributed to a scholarship?

I sense you might be trying to squeeze too much into this answer, and that it may just be better to explaining one in depth rather than multiple scholarships and multiple activities. However, if the presentation and report are connected to one scholarship or connected to each other, then you could potentially cover both.

Any of the other examples could work too though (although I’d avoid the dissertation as this is something most people do).

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.