Exam Motivation

Eliana

Star Member
Apr 11, 2021
Hi, I'm second year law and just struggling to maintain my energy and motivation for exams and coursework. I feel like VS applications drained me throughout the year and I'm sure so many others can relate, I wondered how other people are staying motivated for exams? Any useful revision techniques for take home exams?

Dheepa

Legendary Member
Staff member
Future Trainee
TCLA Moderator
Premium Member
Forum Team
M&A Bootcamp
Junior Lawyer 43
  • Jan 20, 2019
    Hello!

I'm sure many of us on the forum do relate! I remember feeling the exact same at the end of second year and even more so at the end of third year (because that's when covid hit and there was all kinds of uncertainty regarding exam and vacs)

I think for take home exams it matters less that you remember the information and more that you have all your notes, revision guides etc in order. Obviously I have no idea if your exams are open book, but if they are, then I'd suggest mapping out all the different elements that make up each key topic and that'll give you an idea of where to refer to and find information that you need for the exam.

With regards to staying motivated, motivation is a pretty fleeting thing, and I don't think anyone can stay consistently motivated for an extended period of time. Personally, I think you just need to be disciplined, even when the last thing you want to do is study. For me what's always worked is making a study schedule and being realistic about my study time. So I know that realistically after about 9pm, no information I try to study actually gets retained so thats when I stop, and give myself the rest of the day off. I think you just need to figure out what works and doesn't work for you in a similar way. But at the same time don't be too hard on yourself if you do have days where you get nothing done, because that happens to the best of us.

whisperingrock

Legendary Member
    Forum Winner
  • Sep 12, 2020
    To add to Dheepa's point on discipline, developing routines and finding methods that work for you is a god send. I have really severe ADHD and depression so getting anything done (including things I enjoy) is a daily battle, and I've had to develop thorough routines to make sure I keep moving.

One thing that has been especially helpful is the idea of non-zero days. When things are feeling especially dire and hard, I try to make sure I have a minimum I do whether that be in terms of life admin or school work or some project I'm working on. If I can get 15 minutes done for the thing I'm working towards, even if I wanted or expected to do an hour, that day wasn't a waste and I am still making progress. 15 minutes is always better than 0, and I usually realise by the time the 15 minutes are over that I can do a bit more, or I can take a break and do another 15 minutes and then another. And on days where you really end up doing nothing, being kind to yourself and not beating yourself up over it is probably the best thing you can do. Self-cruelty helps nothing and only perpetuates a cycle of shame and procrastination.

Scheduling is also great. Blocking out specific chunks of time to do something and making yourself stick to it consistently helps you get into the headspace for that thing a lot faster than if you wait for the urge to strike you. To do lists are also very satisfying to cross off, especially if you break every single task into itty bitty chunks :). I also love the pomodoro method when it comes to actually working. 20 minutes on, 5 minutes off makes studying feel manageable, but then you look up and its been 4 hours and you've actually finished a lot of work.

Also, actually managing your stress levels is key. Meditation, exercise, creative hobbies, getting out into nature, eating right, are all very very important and I think that when things pile up people let them fall by the wayside because they think they don't have time or energy for them, when in fact they should cling to them more than ever.

These are just some of the things that work for me. As Dheepa said, you have to find what works for you. I hope it helps!

Lyza Mae Bullos

Apr 30, 2021
    Hello, Eliana. This is my first time joining a forum and your thread caught my attention. I am a First Year Education student, and an aspiring lawyer and I wanna share some motivational tips when taking your exams.

First, always think of the reasons why you are studying. I know one of it is to pursue your dream to be a lawyer. Be futuristic while answering these questions: "What will be the positive effects (if there is one) if you procrastinate or do not pass your requirements?" and "What are the consequences of not taking your exams?" Second, imagine yourself wearing the lawyers' outfits and bringing your suitcase to go to your client who needs a legal help. If you can help, then help. You have already finished the first year of your law course so you can do it until the end. Do not be distracted by your surroundings, social media, and overthinking. Third, you can use a time management technique like the Pickle Jar Theory by Stephen Covey as well as his Theory of Time Management. Search for it because it will help you a lot. I've been struggling to manage my time as well but I've never lost the determination to study and learn because I have a dream, and a family. I have my God whom I know will always be there to guide and help me despite of the situation right now. I hope you will do the same. Lastly, I just wanna share my favorite quotation by an unknown writer, "God gives his hardest battles to his strongest soldiers." As a soldier of God, you have the God-given intelligence and strength to continue and pursue your dreams. We may rest if we are tired but do not give up. Strive harder and unleash your best version of yourself Atty. Eliana. 🥰

Last edited:
    • Love
    Reactions: Eliana

Eliana

Star Member
    Apr 11, 2021
    Hello!

I'm sure many of us on the forum do relate! I remember feeling the exact same at the end of second year and even more so at the end of third year (because that's when covid hit and there was all kinds of uncertainty regarding exam and vacs)

I think for take home exams it matters less that you remember the information and more that you have all your notes, revision guides etc in order. Obviously I have no idea if your exams are open book, but if they are, then I'd suggest mapping out all the different elements that make up each key topic and that'll give you an idea of where to refer to and find information that you need for the exam.

With regards to staying motivated, motivation is a pretty fleeting thing, and I don't think anyone can stay consistently motivated for an extended period of time. Personally, I think you just need to be disciplined, even when the last thing you want to do is study. For me what's always worked is making a study schedule and being realistic about my study time. So I know that realistically after about 9pm, no information I try to study actually gets retained so thats when I stop, and give myself the rest of the day off. I think you just need to figure out what works and doesn't work for you in a similar way. But at the same time don't be too hard on yourself if you do have days where you get nothing done, because that happens to the best of us.
    To add to Dheepa's point on discipline, developing routines and finding methods that work for you is a god send. I have really severe ADHD and depression so getting anything done (including things I enjoy) is a daily battle, and I've had to develop thorough routines to make sure I keep moving.

One thing that has been especially helpful is the idea of non-zero days. When things are feeling especially dire and hard, I try to make sure I have a minimum I do whether that be in terms of life admin or school work or some project I'm working on. If I can get 15 minutes done for the thing I'm working towards, even if I wanted or expected to do an hour, that day wasn't a waste and I am still making progress. 15 minutes is always better than 0, and I usually realise by the time the 15 minutes are over that I can do a bit more, or I can take a break and do another 15 minutes and then another. And on days where you really end up doing nothing, being kind to yourself and not beating yourself up over it is probably the best thing you can do. Self-cruelty helps nothing and only perpetuates a cycle of shame and procrastination.

Scheduling is also great. Blocking out specific chunks of time to do something and making yourself stick to it consistently helps you get into the headspace for that thing a lot faster than if you wait for the urge to strike you. To do lists are also very satisfying to cross off, especially if you break every single task into itty bitty chunks :). I also love the pomodoro method when it comes to actually working. 20 minutes on, 5 minutes off makes studying feel manageable, but then you look up and its been 4 hours and you've actually finished a lot of work.

Also, actually managing your stress levels is key. Meditation, exercise, creative hobbies, getting out into nature, eating right, are all very very important and I think that when things pile up people let them fall by the wayside because they think they don't have time or energy for them, when in fact they should cling to them more than ever.

These are just some of the things that work for me. As Dheepa said, you have to find what works for you. I hope it helps!
    Sorry for the delayed response - thank you so so much both of you for such great advice and being so kind and willing to share. I have actually set myself a cut off time now too (so I know I HAVE to get specific things done by a certain time) and have made a schedule that works for me and it's really helped!

Eliana

Star Member
    Apr 11, 2021
    Hello, Eliana. This is my first time joining a forum and your thread caught my attention. I am a First Year Education student, and an aspiring lawyer and I wanna share some motivational tips when taking your exams.

First, always think of the reasons why you are studying. I know one of it is to pursue your dream to be a lawyer. Be futuristic while answering these questions: "What will be the positive effects (if there is one) if you procrastinate or do not pass your requirements?" and "What are the consequences of not taking your exams?" Second, imagine yourself wearing the lawyers' outfits and bringing your suitcase to go to your client who needs a legal help. If you can help, then help. You have already finished the first year of your law course so you can do it until the end. Do not be distracted by your surroundings, social media, and overthinking. Third, you can use a time management technique like the Pickle Jar Theory by Stephen Covey as well as his Theory of Time Management. Search for it because it will help you a lot. I've been struggling to manage my time as well but I've never lost the determination to study and learn because I have a dream, and a family. I have my God whom I know will always be there to guide and help me despite of the situation right now. I hope you will do the same. Lastly, I just wanna share my favorite quotation by an unknown writer, "God gives his hardest battles to his strongest soldiers." As a soldier of God, you have the God-given intelligence and strength to continue and pursue your dreams. We may rest if we are tired but do not give up. Strive harder and unleash your best version of yourself Atty. Eliana. 🥰
    I love this! Thank you for taking the time to write that Lyza! I really appreciate it.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.