Extenuating/Mitigating circumstances

Paaris

• Dec 18, 2020
    Just wondering if anyone has experience in listing mitigating circumstances in applications and then getting an interview?
    My academics are not stellar but I am a bit reluctant to discuss my personal struggles as I am unsure about how they are received.
    I'm also not sure about the best way to discuss this on applications?
    And then having to "evidence" them!

So far, I have had no luck past the application stage when putting something in about that.

Legal_rawn

Legendary Member
    Forum Winner
    Dec 21, 2019
    I would be interest in this too! I usually don’t say anything but I did for S&M this year because I know they put a particular emphasis on academics but I’m yet to hear back

whisperingrock

Legendary Member
    Forum Winner
  • Sep 12, 2020
    I got two winter vac schemes offers this year and I put my mitigating circumstances down for every app. I put it down to explain why my grades went down for a period despite being good before and after (my ADHD wasn't being treated).

Some firms will care, some won't. Depends what the mit circs are and depends on whether you show success despite them at other points.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Just wondering if anyone has experience in listing mitigating circumstances in applications and then getting an interview?
    My academics are not stellar but I am a bit reluctant to discuss my personal struggles as I am unsure about how they are received.
    I'm also not sure about the best way to discuss this on applications?
    And then having to "evidence" them!

So far, I have had no luck past the application stage when putting something in about that.

feel free to PM me about this.

• 🤝
    Reactions: Jaysen

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.