Extra curricular activities/Positions of responsibility

Shea Brinsley

Sep 10, 2019
I have recently come across an application form that asks for extra curricular activities and positions of responsibility (and why they are important) in two different sections.

In particular, one question asks to 'detail positions of responsibility and why they are important to you', while another asks you to highlight 'extra-curricular activities, interests and level of involvement'.

I am finding it difficult to differentiate between the two as in other application forms both questions tend to fall under one heading.

Would anybody be able to recommend which approach I would take for each?

Thanks in advance!

Abstruser

Legendary Member
Trainee
Jul 19, 2018
I think a little bit of overlap is inevitable (and acceptable) in this case.

For positions of responsibility, I think you might highlight:
  • What the position was (eg, captain of a sports team)
  • What responsibilities did that position entail (eg, booking venues, organising events)
  • What motivated you to take up this position (if applicable)
  • Any key achievements in that role (eg, raised significant amount of funding from events, improved team performance etc etc)
I would think the extra-curricular activities section would be a little less detailed, but you might include things like:
  • What the activities and interests were (eg, learning a new language)
  • How much time you dedicated to that activity or interest every week (eg, 2-3 hours a week, alongside uni and other commitments)
  • Any key achievements (eg, passed a certification, went abroad and applied new language, etc etc)
Hope this helps!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Position of responsibility = you have been accountable for things. If you didn’t deliver the matter would fail

ECs: anything else that takes up your time, could be personal pursuits (but where you are not accountable to anyone), awards, prizes, interests.

The above descriptions by Abstruser are spot on.

Reactions: Abstruser

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.