Extracurriculars - Which Ones Are Helpful?

thelegalstudent

Standard Member
May 5, 2023
Hi!

I am currently a first-year law student and have been actively involved in my extracurriculars. I’m an Editor at my law society’s legal publication, a committee member (Commercial Affairs Co-ordinator) of the Commercial Awareness Society, a Peer Mentor for the university, and a Student Advisor at the university’s Law Clinic. I’ve also been to several Open Days and attended a First Year Scheme. However, as a First-Year, I’ve joined many of these extracurriculars to seek out my interests and passions and haven’t given much thought to how they can go towards building up my CV or contributing to my applications.

I’ve noticed that many students in my year have been running for Executive Committee positions (of which my only committee position is a Wider Committee position and will not have such a big role to play). I was wondering if I would be at a disadvantage for pursuing a lower level Committee position as compared to someone with an EC position? I was also thinking of working with a pro-bono consulting organisation at university next year and joining my university’s radio society out of interest, but was wondering if these would have any value on my CV or applications?

Thank you! :)

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Any extra curriculars will bring value to your CV. It is more about the impact you have in these roles rather than what the role is that is more interesting to recruiters anyway.

Do the extracurriculars you are genuinely interested in. Please do not do things just because you think they might make your CV/application look better - it’s far more interesting reading an application from someone who enthuses about the things they have done and can really sell their personal impact in a role because they have been invested into the opportunity.

Executive positions on student societies or clubs are just one way of potentially showing your skills. But for plenty of others they will demonstrate the same abilities and aptitudes through other activities - it doesn’t always need to be a leadership position.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.