Failing at interview stage

Star Member
Sep 4, 2019
So I am out of this cycle bar one application that I haven't heard back from. I think that i applied too soon (2nd year) I feel that i'm ready in every aspect except interviews. I'm gutted that I applied to firms that I really wanted that dont re interview.

I think I struggle most with the unexpected questions and I struggle to think clearly and quickly in interviews in a way that I don't in exams.

Has anyone been is this position and overcome it, and if so how?

Repeated feedback:
Not being confident and second guessing myself.
Not answering some particular things in enough detail or precisely, when they thought I knew the answer but I never expressed it.

D

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Sep 11, 2018
The key to a good interview is to have answers prepared for all of the questions you think they will ask, and more.

Confidence can be worked on. I feel this confidence can come across in so many ways but it probably starts with first impressions. Smile, say hello, extend a hand. Show that you are comfortable. Don't be shy or timid, own the space you are in. When that first question is asked of you, deliver it with power and focus. Almost every first question is "So, why the law?" and this is something you should have a rock-solid answer for! Much like a university essay (where the assessor knows the class before even reading the content after the introduction), I expect the assessor has a very good idea from the outset how the candidate will perform based on the first question. Start well, aim high. That way, even if you hit a few curveballs, they are marking you down from high, rather than you trying to bring yourself up from below.

Second-guessing yourself - Probably related to confidence. You need to have a conviction or thought behind your conversations and answers. If someone proposes an alternative to the answer you have given. Don't simply wilt under pressure. Think it through slowly and carefully, and respond. It is ok to back-track. But, it is not ok to simply agree with the interviewer blindly, or, allow them to move you from your position without you giving it at least some thought.

Detail - Just ensure you are bringing out the key aspects of your answers. Remember, if you are using STAR, you are not scoring ANY points for the Situation, or the Task (likewise with the 'C' in CAR). Spend your time on the action. I like to ensure I say three action points when I'm answering questions. This ensures I don't drone on, but also that I am doing my best to provide evidence.

That's just some ramblings but I hope it helps!

Reactions: Zoo, H and 003

Holly

Legendary Member
Forum Winner
Nov 23, 2019
So I am out of this cycle bar one application that I haven't heard back from. I think that i applied too soon (2nd year) I feel that i'm ready in every aspect except interviews. I'm gutted that I applied to firms that I really wanted that dont re interview.

I think I struggle most with the unexpected questions and I struggle to think clearly and quickly in interviews in a way that I don't in exams.

Repeated feedback:
Not answering some particular things in enough detail or precisely, when they thought I knew the answer but I never expressed it.

Be confident to say the following when faced with a difficult question:
  • Can I take a few moments to think about this?
  • Please can you clarify/ rephrase the question?
You don't always have to respond quickly, but you do need to communicate clearly. I believe the best way of answering a challenging question that you haven't prepared for, is to take some time to think before you respond!

Best of luck :)

Reactions: 003

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
Staff member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Premium Member
M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018

Repeated feedback:

To add to the above, you can do a ton of prep but there are inevitably going to be questions you won't have prepared for. I think one of the best ways to prepare and become confident in that situation is to practice answering unexpected questions over and over again (either alone, by giving yourself a short amount of time to see a question and respond, or ideally with someone so it feels more like an interview). You can use this list to help: https://www.thecorporatelawacademy.com/175-training-contract-interview-questions-2/.

The more you do this, the better you should become at staying composed and thinking/articulating your points of view under pressure.

NMD

Star Member
    Feb 17, 2019

Repeated feedback:

Hello! I actually did the mock interviews with TCLA and it has really helped my interview technique. It put me under pressure and gave me a good insight regarding the types of questions that could be asked. It also made me confront unexpected situations and helped me practice the skill of being calm under pressure. In addition to that, before every interview, I spend around an hour a day getting someone to go through the above link Jaysen posted regarding the training contract questions. Do it with someone you are comfortable with first who will tell you where you need to improve. The best advice I have received is to just treat it like a two-way conversation, ask them questions about themselves (people love talking about themselves and their journey typically) and seem really enthusiastic (even if you get some things wrong, it will highlight that you are keen to learn and passionate about the career). The more you do it all, the more natural it will begin to feel. I hope this helps!

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.