Feedback after VS

tcly

Aug 17, 2023
I attended a VS last month and received the rejection email a few weeks later.

They said that we could request feedback if we got rejected so I emailed to request feedback less than a day after the rejection email and then a week after (it's been just less than 3 weeks from that rejection email).

I still haven't heard back - I know it's normal for most law firms not to give feedback but they said we could request it and it's just been radio silent on their end.

Is it worth emailing them again or just straight up calling them because I really want feedback to see where I went wrong/I can improve for next time.

Thank you!

I’m_Batman

Valued Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer
  • Aug 25, 2023
    I attended a VS last month and received the rejection email a few weeks later.

They said that we could request feedback if we got rejected so I emailed to request feedback less than a day after the rejection email and then a week after (it's been just less than 3 weeks from that rejection email).

I still haven't heard back - I know it's normal for most law firms not to give feedback but they said we could request it and it's just been radio silent on their end.

Is it worth emailing them again or just straight up calling them because I really want feedback to see where I went wrong/I can improve for next time.

Thank you!
    Yes, absolutely email again. You are meant to have a call after attending a Vacation Scheme with feedback. Firms don't offer feedback for stages before Assessment Centres. But if you have made it AC and beyond, you get feedback. Email them again. Remain polite and gracious at every enquiry but get your feedback. Appalling imo that you haven't heard.

tcly

Aug 17, 2023
    Yes, absolutely email again. You are meant to have a call after attending a Vacation Scheme with feedback. Firms don't offer feedback for stages before Assessment Centres. But if you have made it AC and beyond, you get feedback. Email them again. Remain polite and gracious at every enquiry but get your feedback. Appalling imo that you haven't heard.
    Hi, thank you!

I have been on holiday since so haven't chased them haha but I have emailed them again! Hopefully I'll get a response and can update you on something :')

Thank you again!

• 🤝
    Reactions: I’m_Batman

tcly

Aug 17, 2023
    Hi, thank you!

I have been on holiday since so haven't chased them haha but I have emailed them again! Hopefully I'll get a response and can update you on something :')

Thank you again!
    So I got a response...

"Unfortunately it is difficult to provide precise feedback to each applicant. As you know the vacation scheme involved numerous facets and feedback for obtained from lots of sources. What I would say though is that the calibre of the applicants was exceptional and we were in the very difficult position where we had a relatively small number of positions available. You performed very well and we very much enjoyed meeting you, but unfortunately there were a number of applicants who we felt were slightly better suited to our firm, its clients and its culture. It really was very finely balanced and I am sorry that you were not successful on this occasion."

I don't even know how to improve from this? 😅

(Apologies if the formatting of this is weird - I'm new to this platform haha!)

I’m_Batman

Valued Member
    Premium Member
    Junior Lawyer
  • Aug 25, 2023
    So I got a response...

"Unfortunately it is difficult to provide precise feedback to each applicant. As you know the vacation scheme involved numerous facets and feedback for obtained from lots of sources. What I would say though is that the calibre of the applicants was exceptional and we were in the very difficult position where we had a relatively small number of positions available. You performed very well and we very much enjoyed meeting you, but unfortunately there were a number of applicants who we felt were slightly better suited to our firm, its clients and its culture. It really was very finely balanced and I am sorry that you were not successful on this occasion."

I don't even know how to improve from this? 😅

(Apologies if the formatting of this is weird - I'm new to this platform haha!)
    Hm. Personally, I feel at that stage it is a matter of luck. Almost all the candidates who make it to the Assessment Centre could be good trainees, in my view. There are just a lack of places. The feedback is rubbish because it reflects exactly that they
    were in the very difficult position where we had a relatively small number of positions available
    It's a rubbish process.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.