Final year non-law student - Vacation scheme or Training contract?

Parleen

Sep 24, 2022
Hi everyone!
I'm a non law finalist and I was wondering whether I should be applying to training contracts or vac schemes?
I have started some vac scheme applications but I realised if I require funding for the GDL (which I hope to start next academic yr after graduating), I will need to have secured a tc (hopefully through a vac scheme). However, if I haven't managed to secure any vac schemes this academic year then I dont think there will be time (within my desired timeline), to secure a TC, it will be too late?

Any insight at all would be great help!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi everyone!
I'm a non law finalist and I was wondering whether I should be applying to training contracts or vac schemes?
I have started some vac scheme applications but I realised if I require funding for the GDL (which I hope to start next academic yr after graduating), I will need to have secured a tc (hopefully through a vac scheme). However, if I haven't managed to secure any vac schemes this academic year then I dont think there will be time (within my desired timeline), to secure a TC, it will be too late?

Any insight at all would be great help!
Most vacation schemes will give you the opportunity to be considered for a training contract at the end of the scheme. You maybe assessed for a training contract by your performance on the scheme or a combination of this and some other assessments. Vacation schemes are also a great way to build up your CV/application for future TC applications, so I would encourage you to apply to them in the first instance.

However, you may find that you may not be eligible for some firm’s vacation schemes. In these instances, applying for a direct training contract will be your only option and something you should go for.

Therefore applying to a mixture of both VS and TCs are probably a realistic approach to take over the next academic year.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.