Firms That Still Accept Trainees via Direct TC

PrancingUnicorns

Aug 14, 2018
Hi all,

Was wondering if somebody from the TCLA Committee would be able to compile a list of firms that still accept direct TC applications this year (not on an exceptional basis)? Might be pretty useful considering most of them are now looking to take 100% of their trainees from vacation schemes.

Just a suggestion :)

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
Staff member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Premium Member
M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    Hi all,

Was wondering if somebody from the TCLA Committee would be able to compile a list of firms that still accept direct TC applications this year (not on an exceptional basis)? Might be pretty useful considering most of them are now looking to take 100% of their trainees from vacation schemes.

Just a suggestion :)

Happy to make a list of firms that accept TC applications, but I'm a little confused by your second point? What makes you think they are looking to take 100% from vac schemes?

PrancingUnicorns

Aug 14, 2018
    Thanks Jaysen! I feel like many firms are now moving to recruit their trainees entirely from their vacation schemes, as opposed to through direct training contract applications; I have spoken to a couple of them and I believe they think that it has been more of a gamble to take trainees directly. They do allow some direct applications, but it's more of an exception. :)

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
    Staff member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    Thanks Jaysen! I feel like many firms are now moving to recruit their trainees entirely from their vacation schemes, as opposed to through direct training contract applications; I have spoken to a couple of them and I believe they think that it has been more of a gamble to take trainees directly. They do allow some direct applications, but it's more of an exception. :)

Interesting point. I definitely think it would be helpful if we had a clearer idea of how many trainees a firm tends to recruit from vac schemes v direct training contract applications. The last investigation is a little outdated now and doesn't cover all firms: (2014) https://www.thelawyer.com/which-firms-take-most-and-fewest-trainees-from-vac-schemes/. Unfortunately, I doubt law firms will release this information to us.

As far as I'm aware, the same types of firms are still recruiting from direct training contract applications. It has always been more difficult, but if you are competent you should have a good chance. It's also the case that some firms have good and bad vac scheme round, which influences the number of applicants that take from direct TC's. This is of course excluding the US firms and others that explicitly state they take all/a majority from vac schemes.

PrancingUnicorns

Aug 14, 2018
    Interesting point. I definitely think it would be helpful if we had a clearer idea of how many trainees a firm tends to recruit from vac schemes v direct training contract applications. The last investigation is a little outdated now and doesn't cover all firms: (2014) https://www.thelawyer.com/which-firms-take-most-and-fewest-trainees-from-vac-schemes/. Unfortunately, I doubt law firms will release this information to us.

As far as I'm aware, the same types of firms are still recruiting from direct training contract applications. It has always been more difficult, but if you are competent you should have a good chance. It's also the case that some firms have good and bad vac scheme round, which influences the number of applicants that take from direct TC's. This is of course excluding the US firms and others that explicitly state they take all/a majority from vac schemes.

Right, thanks Jaysen!

Maymoonah

Aug 30, 2018
    Even if you are going down the direct TC route, firms would be most interested in applicants who have made an effort to speak with them/meet them at career fairs, events, networking dinners etc. Make sure to apply for these and reference your experience in the direct TC application.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.