Firms with no minimum alevel requirements

magicmide

Premium Member
Dec 2, 2018
a list of leading law firms that apparently do not have minimum A-Level requirements:
Ashurt
arnold& porter
Baker mckenzie
BCLP
Clifford Chance
Freshfields
HSF
Macfarlanes
Womble
Gowling
PwC
Reed Smith
Browne Jacobson
Bird & Bird
Skadden
Sullivan & Cromwell
Milbank
Akin Gump
Davis Polk & Wardwell
Hope this is useful. Can people comment which firms that dont look/care about alevels

AvniD

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Gold Member
Premium Member
Oct 25, 2021
a list of leading law firms that apparently do not have minimum A-Level requirements:
Ashurt
arnold& porter
Baker mckenzie
BCLP
Clifford Chance
Freshfields
HSF
Macfarlanes
Womble
Gowling
PwC
Reed Smith
Browne Jacobson
Bird & Bird
Skadden
Sullivan & Cromwell
Milbank
Akin Gump
Davis Polk & Wardwell
Hope this is useful. Can people comment which firms that dont look/care about alevels
Hi @magicmide, wow! Your initiative to not only make this list but also share it with the wider community is incredibly commendable 👏👏👏

What stage of the application process are you at currently? And how did you find time to make this list!? I wish I was this resourceful when I was applying 😅

Reactions: GlorzG

goatenthusiast12

Dec 7, 2022
Does 'no minimum Alevel requirement' mean that they wont take A-level grades into account at all? Because many firms such as Herbert Smith and Ropes and Gray state that they have no minimum A-level requirement but while applying there's a section where its mandatory to mention A-level grades. Is it there just for formality or by 'no minimum A-level requirement' do they mean that they do look at A-level grades but there's no minimum requirement for it? Thank you in advance.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Does 'no minimum Alevel requirement' mean that they wont take A-level grades into account at all? Because many firms such as Herbert Smith and Ropes and Gray state that they have no minimum A-level requirement but while applying there's a section where its mandatory to mention A-level grades. Is it there just for formality or by 'no minimum A-level requirement' do they mean that they do look at A-level grades but there's no minimum requirement for it? Thank you in advance.
They will still consider A-level results and look at them alongside the rest of your application and academics (how much weighting they put on these grades is difficult to say), but it just means you can apply no matter what your A-level grades are.

Firms with a minimum A-level requirement will not even consider applicants who don’t meet that basic criteria.

Reactions: goatenthusiast12

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Would firms that have minimum A-level requirements automatically reject international applicants who have not completed their A-levels? @Jessica Booker
No - they would use an approximate calculation to work out the comparative grades. Lots of U.K. students don’t have A-levels (IB, Scottish Highers), and so it’s just a case of finding a comparison/equivalent to their minimum A-level criteria.

Reactions: thelastshah

goatenthusiast12

Dec 7, 2022
They will still consider A-level results and look at them alongside the rest of your application and academics (how much weighting they put on these grades is difficult to say), but it just means you can apply no matter what your A-level grades are.

Firms with a minimum A-level requirement will not even consider applicants who don’t meet that basic criteria.
I have BCC as my final A-level grades. I was thinking of resitting for at least 1 or 2 of the subjects but I don't think I'll have the time to do it due to my other responsibilities at university and at home. I'm studying at a non RG university so I'm already at a disadvantage here. I did get 2 A*s in my AS level though, but I don't think they'll do much for me unless I'm wrong.

I don't think this can be counted as a mitigating circumstance but my AS grades did not form a part of my A2 grades due to the whole covid situation. AS grades were given by schools since covid was at its peak and examination centres were closed. Whereas my A2 were graded by British Council (I don't live in the UK) and therefore my AS grades were discarded entirely.
Would it be appropriate for me to mention this in my application?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
I have BCC as my final A-level grades. I was thinking of resitting for at least 1 or 2 of the subjects but I don't think I'll have the time to do it due to my other responsibilities at university and at home. I'm studying at a non RG university so I'm already at a disadvantage here. I did get 2 A*s in my AS level though, but I don't think they'll do much for me unless I'm wrong.

I don't think this can be counted as a mitigating circumstance but my AS grades did not form a part of my A2 grades due to the whole covid situation. AS grades were given by schools since covid was at its peak and examination centres were closed. Whereas my A2 were graded by British Council (I don't live in the UK) and therefore my AS grades were discarded entirely.
Would it be appropriate for me to mention this in my application?
I don’t think it’s worthwhile resitting in all honesty.

Most firms will only consider three A-levels sat in the same year (as a matter of fairness given the complexity of studying three subjects at a time).

They will pick up you studied during Covid and that therefore there are some mitigating circumstances as such, but the way the courses are graded would not be considered mitigating circumstances.

goatenthusiast12

Dec 7, 2022

Most firms will only consider three A-levels sat in the same year (as a matter of fairness given the complexity of studying three subjects at a time).

They will pick up you studied during Covid and that therefore there are some mitigating circumstances as such, but the way the courses are graded would not be considered mitigating circumstances.
Thank you for clearing my doubts. Fingers crossed that they'd look past my A-level grades 😬 they're not the absolute worst but they're nowhere close to the best either, will be even more tough given how competitive TCs and vacation schemes are.

Aspiringlawyer792

Standard Member
Aug 3, 2023
Hi, is anyone in my position or can you direct me to the best option? I was a covid student so my A-level grades were cancelled so when I got BCC I was just happy with not sitting the exam not realising the impact it could make in the future. Then I went to uni to do LLB Law and really struggled with family issues in 2nd year and landed with a 57% 2:2. I got a first-class in my dissertation and I would really love to aspire to a career as a corporate solicitor. Any tips or advice on what I can do to stand out in applications, which firms I should consider applying and anyone in a similar position?

Mervat

Dec 27, 2023

They will pick up you studied during Covid and that therefore there are some mitigating circumstances as such, but the way the courses are graded would not be considered mitigating circumstances

Hello!
Tbh this is scaring me now. I’m an international student but I did IGs and A-Levels. I wish to apply to law firms in the UK once I’m done with my bachelors here in my country and hopefully masters . However my A-level results are not even close to my predicted a level grade given from my teachers and I was obviously thinking of resetting but I’m not sure if it’s pointless given that some firms look at exams you’ve done in the same year.

**** P.S- I ended secondary school in y12 which means I didn’t do the other two exams of my chosen AS subjects in y13 (this is very common in the Middle East as majority of universities accept that you don’t need to continue y13). My subjects were History, Psychology and Business.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hello!
Tbh this is scaring me now. I’m an international student but I did IGs and A-Levels. I wish to apply to law firms in the UK once I’m done with my bachelors here in my country and hopefully masters . However my A-level results are not even close to my predicted a level grade given from my teachers and I was obviously thinking of resetting but I’m not sure if it’s pointless given that some firms look at exams you’ve done in the same year.

**** P.S- I ended secondary school in y12 which means I didn’t do the other two exams of my chosen AS subjects in y13 (this is very common in the Middle East as majority of universities accept that you don’t need to continue y13). My subjects were History, Psychology and Business.
Many firms do not have minimum A-level grades these days. For those that do, you can explain you went to university based on year 12 grades and can explain this is common in your home country.

You can take your A-levels if you want to (it sounds like you wouldn't be resitting them, but sitting them for the first time based on what you have said above). and if that is the case, that is different because you are taking the assessments for the qualification for the first time.

Reactions: Mervat

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.