First Year Results and Vac Schemes

AnonymousUser

Dec 5, 2021
Hi All,

I just had a query concerning Vac Scheme applications with my first year grades. Just a little context, for A levels I got 4A* and attend a top 10 RG university. For my first year, I averaged at 66 (with 2 firsts, 2 high 2:1s and 2 high 2:2s- one of which was contract). Whilst I am happy with a few of the modules, contract (which is clearly important for commercial law) is clearly a hindrance. Are there any firms I should probably not apply to based on these grades?

Thanks

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi All,

I just had a query concerning Vac Scheme applications with my first year grades. Just a little context, for A levels I got 4A* and attend a top 10 RG university. For my first year, I averaged at 66 (with 2 firsts, 2 high 2:1s and 2 high 2:2s- one of which was contract). Whilst I am happy with a few of the modules, contract (which is clearly important for commercial law) is clearly a hindrance. Are there any firms I should probably not apply to based on these grades?

Thanks
I wouldn't avoid any firms with that academic profile, particularly if you think the rest of your application will be strong.

Reactions: AvniD and AnonymousUser

trainee25_

Nov 19, 2022
Just want to jump in here.

I’ve now finished my non law undergraduate degree (at top uni) where I received a 1st and 2 years on the deans list. However, I got 3As at A level and in my first year, 2 grades were very high 2.2s (.1 and .3 off a

I’m now doing a masters at Oxbridge.

I am continually being rejected from firms so I’m wondering, is it a high chance it’s my grades? I waited to receive my degree this year to apply as thought it would help things but it doesn’t seem to have. I’m happy with the applications I’m submitting and have ample work experience.

thank you in advance!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Just want to jump in here.

I’ve now finished my non law undergraduate degree (at top uni) where I received a 1st and 2 years on the deans list. However, I got 3As at A level and in my first year, 2 grades were very high 2.2s (.1 and .3 off a

I’m now doing a masters at Oxbridge.

I am continually being rejected from firms so I’m wondering, is it a high chance it’s my grades? I waited to receive my degree this year to apply as thought it would help things but it doesn’t seem to have. I’m happy with the applications I’m submitting and have ample work experience.

thank you in advance!
I very much doubt it will be your grades if only two modules were just off 2.1s.

Alongside your work experience, extracurriculars will be important too.

Most applications I would turn down were often down to motivational answers not being clear as to why they thought the career or the firm was right for them, the candidate's application not demonstrating the type of qualities or skills the firm was looking for, or just general writing style.

Reactions: AvniD

trainee25_

Nov 19, 2022
I very much doubt it will be your grades if only two modules were just off 2.1s.

Alongside your work experience, extracurriculars will be important too.

Most applications I would turn down were often down to motivational answers not being clear as to why they thought the career or the firm was right for them, the candidate's application not demonstrating the type of qualities or skills the firm was looking for, or just general writing style.
Thank you! At least this is something I can work on in the here and now. Will keep working on it. Thank you again for your response

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.